Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Wheel not Straight

alcal

I've just noticed that the top of the steering wheel on my new (factory built) 360 is a few degrees to the left when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead. I could leave this to the 1st service but if it's a simple fix I'll have a go. The (non quick release) boss doesn't want to come off the column. I see there is a splined universal joint adjacent to the steering rack. If I loosen the clamp bolt would the column pull out and go back in easily? (in the correct position).

Thanks

I would drive it first to see if it is straight ahead on typical road camber, if it is only a small amount out, the slight right-ward pressure to keep the car in a straight line may cause it to be straight.

It you do need to adjust it only a few degrees, it should be done by changing the left and right track rod ends by a similar amount each side.

Wouldn't agree with your first point James for a couple of reasons, from my experience. 

First, the wheel should be 'straight' when the wheels point straight, IMO. If you then have to hold it slightly one way or another on a camber then so be it.

Also, again in my experience here, it takes a fair camber to require that and the majority of our roads it'll be 'straight' when you're going straight,  

Your second point is, of course, correct! 

Do you have a rear watts linkage as these can be adjusted incorrectly, radius arms are less likely to affect this unless one is the wrong length or you have pick up point error.

First check the rear end is correctly set and the rear axle is perpendicular, if this is on the p!ss your car will have a slight crab.

If it is then check the rear toe and camber - odd settings will give the same effect

Most A roads round me have sufficient crown to induce the need for slight correction and hence apparent wheel off centre.

Check you have the same lock either way before adjusting the front - please don't assume because its a factory car it will all be correct - these are hand built by humans and errors in manufacturing and assembly do occur.

• Area Representative

"It you do need to adjust, it should be done by changing the left and right track rod ends by a similar amount each side, the splines on the column should only go on in one position due to the flat on the shaft for the clamp bolt clearance."

Sorry but this is incorrect. There is no flat on the column where the splines are (adjacent to the rack). It is a groove for the pinch bolt. Adjustment can be done here and in my experience it will produce a satisfactory result. Only very very minor adjustments require track rod ends to be altered.