Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Minimum viable tool kit

Wrightpayne

Many years ago my silencer was bouncing off the tarmac going over the Pont de Normandie on way home from Le Mans. Temporarily repaired with stainless steel wire. Since then I've used a rather large bobbin that has yet to show signs of failing (oops,that's done it). Bobbin size is 50mm h x 40mm w

• Area Representative

I suppose the tools you carry need to be married to the spares you carry.

If you carry a clutch cable (really useful) you need those tools required to install it. If you carry a spark plug spanner, you might as well have a spare set of plugs. 

• Leadership Team

#31  Exactly this.  I have a couple of sets of "short metric spanners" which gives me two 17mm to enable swapping a clutch cable, I wouldn't use the short ones all the time but they're very compact to carry in the 7.

I also carry a 3/8 drive spark plug socket which with a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter enables me to use it with my 1/4 drive socket wrench and extension, ideally the more tools that double up for multiple uses the better.

• 9 months later...

On this topic, I have put together a spreadsheet of all tools required for my CSR, for basic breakdown tasks.  It would be good to have this as a shareable Excel file with others able to add sheets for different specs of 7.  Any idea how we might do this best?

• 11 months later...

Depends where I’m going and what I’m doing… I have my “caterham bag” which goes with me regardless as it contains my essentials. If I’m going further afield (usually a trackday) then the tool bag comes with me too, obviously alongside my “race bag” which has helmet and race suit etc in. I also take some oil with me on trackdays. Longer trips and touring I take the tool bag along too. 
  my caterham has the “endurance” fuel tank fitted, so boot space is even more non existent than normal, I can fit the half hood in it, and that’s about it…. So usually bags end up in footwells, passenger seat or wedged behind the seat, worst case strapped around rollcage…

IMG_5954.jpeg.bd2ea329a3caa229317c6ac9f4156ebe.jpeg

my “caterham bag” also handy for storing my “immobiliser” if I’m not with the car so don’t look like a berk walking around with a momo steering wheel… 

IMG_5955.jpeg.120c14d6e8a7104583176c756667c48d.jpeg

front pouch have phone charging cable, head torch, charging cable for head torch (also fits my tyre pump) and some spare ear plugs.

IMG_5956.jpeg.b7f1184dfdf84ef4dd69327651fa8d7d.jpeg

middle pouch, gloves and a wind/waterproof jacket.

IMG_5957.jpeg.b107b3f516263e619207f3693eb4e7e5.jpeg

main compartment, microfibre cloth, and a hi-vis (you guessed it, it’s a London Underground one)

IMG_5958.jpeg.1db4f9f8d80d2261d1fe5d7ce697098e.jpeg

also my retro-modded ear defenders with motorbike Bluetooth mic/speakers and my “spares kit.”

IMG_5959.jpeg.008f5473b3c7619a0d436a841afef09a.jpeg

oh and a large silica gel bag too….

IMG_5960.jpeg.f421b11ed1bf7d3ce1c7f27827676450.jpeg

contents of my spares bag…

Rad cap / spark plugs / relay / bulb and fuse kit / alternator and oil pump belts / tools for puncture repair / random wire and connectors / hose clips and exhaust bobbin / throttle position sensor / throttle cable and repair kit / tyre puncture stuff and gloves. 

like I say, this is what I always have with me including when not far from home - so worst case someone can bring the tools to me and I can fix at roadside (like a belt or something) or worst case get towed home…

now venturing further afield….

IMG_5961.jpeg.7fc9caf3230ea8f837c9dc04cd40ecf2.jpeg

my small tool bag

IMG_5971.jpeg.e58587e1c77085294fb377d5387e241d.jpeg

weighs this much….

IMG_5962.jpeg.ff8995d7b47773b111ee3c8f482b91b0.jpeg

and its contents…

IMG_5964.jpeg.6282887d64c2c879ddd68b3132acb87d.jpeg

cable ties / note pad (for trackday settings and info ) / gloves / types pressure gauge / electric pump / worlds smallest and cutest multimeter plus different probes / rubber gloves / insulation tape. 

IMG_5965.jpeg.e40b6ccc3d9f6992c63b3b446af8470b.jpeg

tool roll also fits in the tool bag. I like to keep things compartmentalised so easy to get what I want…

IMG_5966.jpeg.3273df4de6f5a2219a36ae0e9ba3c83c.jpeg

common spanners and Allen key set

IMG_5967.jpeg.455c260b944027e52d97e1d3c790f303.jpeg

1/4 drive stuff and bit set 

IMG_5968.jpeg.6cace975b387294a0c5e4f7f1eca527c.jpeg

3/8 stuff and spark plug socket

IMG_5969.jpeg.32b0e5ac991188e1696694c699fec070.jpeg

Pliers / cutters / screwdrivers

I figure anything more serious than this and I’m not likely fixing it at the roadside anyway. Unless someone else in my group has it (likely) or a friendly passer by! 

- Colin 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 19:08, andy couchman said:

21kgs here - methinks too much (but that does include the scissor jack). So, going on a  reduction exercise to hopefully halve that.

We did once identify a suitable lightweight alloy jack.

Jonathan

PS: And usual reminder: the jack and handle can be bolted into the engine bay, mine are in front of the heater.

And the usual general reminder: tools and fluids can be carried in tool canisters, and those can be fitted in the engine bay. Lots of photos in the archives following the Bulk Buy.

And cables can be tied to chassis members.

Jonathan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ainsley said:

Very organised, but I have two questions 🙂

• How many extra litres does the Endurance fuel tank hold ?
  • Have you actually needed any of the spares / tools you carry ?

Q1) Tank holds 60 litres - know this as I redone the fuel sender calibration for the stack dash back in November. 

it’s an ATL bag tank in an aluminium box. Pretty much comes to the top of the boot. 

Q2) not yet! only tyre pump and pressure gauge on trackdays and checking of wheel nuts etc. 

You do know the moment you fail to take any tools you will have a breakdown, taking them means you never have a breakdown 🙂

Personally when I go out for road trips in my car or on my motorbikes, I take no tools, I just spend time prior, ensuring everything is all in order and rely on either my wife or the AA for emergency's.

So far I've not needed to call on either.

On 18/04/2024 at 11:25, Jonathan Kay said:

We did once identify a suitable lightweight alloy jack.

Jonathan

PS: And usual reminder: the jack and handle can be bolted into the engine bay, mine are in front of the heater.

On 18/04/2024 at 11:27, Jonathan Kay said:

And the usual general reminder: tools and fluids can be carried in tool canisters, and those can be fitted in the engine bay. Lots of photos in the archives following the Bulk Buy.

And cables can be tied to chassis members.

Jonathan

Very interested in this Jonathan, but can't seem to find the photos in the archive. Sure it's me! I'd love to know if anyone has found a good spot for a scissor jack in the engine bay of a sigma powered car. Similarly, any good places for tools.

Thanks, 

Ian 

• Leadership Team

Colin that’s an impressive assembly of kit but I must be honest it’s waaaay too much stuff for me when touring. My mindset comes from touring on a motorbike and backpacking, if it isn’t needed it’s out, if it is needed it has to be made smaller!

I have a Kriega tool roll and that carries everything …

• 1/4” sockets because the ratchet is smaller, I carry a 1/4 - 3/8 adapter for my spark plug socket.
  • 4 spark plugs but I’ve disposed of the packaging to save space.
  • Metric combination spanners but they’re all short length, again to save space, 2 of 17mm size to enable K-Series clutch cable replacement.
  • Cable ties but no longer than the Kriega tool roll, if I need anything longer thay can be doubled up.
  • A basic continuity tester rather than a full multimeter, it’ll check for live or continuity and on the road is all I’ve ever needed.
  • Fuses.
  • Piggyback wire tap in case an additional 12v feed is needed.
  • Digital tyre pressure gauge, my expensive analogue one stays at home because it’s too big for touring.
  • Short length cable snips and needle nose pliers.
  • Long length ball end hex keys.
  • Breathalysers for France (not sure they’re needed anymore though).

IMG_0970.thumb.jpeg.2b1a7b5d306f07ff8e26eb239bd5706f.jpeg

The Kriega tool roll is mounted permanently in left side of the boot next to a Touratech 2L fuel can and mount used to carry 2L of oil, it’s more compact than their dedicated 2L oil bottle. I’ve experienced a standard oil bottle leaking its contents into the boot and it’s not pretty! The oil bottle and tool roll protrude into the boot space only slightly more than the aluminium shock turret.

IMG_0969.thumb.jpeg.c1575a02d872b2fa52cb777957b4662d.jpeg

Under the bonnet I carry a puncture repair kit and Air-Man tyre inflator, spare clutch and throttle cables are cable tied to the chassis diagonal under the throttle bodies and spare alternator and dry sump belts are cable tied to the chassis front crucifix. I have a small scissor jack but I don’t always take it.

Stu.

13 hours ago, Ian DL said:

Very interested in this Jonathan, but can't seem to find the photos in the archive. Sure it's me! I'd love to know if anyone has found a good spot for a scissor jack in the engine bay of a sigma powered car. Similarly, any good places for tools.

Ah... I think that the photos of where people fitted tool tubes might not have survived the transition to the new website as they were in a Bulk Buy thread. I'll see what I can find.

I'll post a photo of my jack in front of the heater on a K Series.

Please can you add some photos of your heater and battery so that we can look for possibilities.

Jonathan

On 22/04/2024 at 08:51, Jonathan Kay said:

Ah... I think that the photos of where people fitted tool tubes might not have survived the transition to the new website as they were in a Bulk Buy thread. I'll see what I can find.

I'll post a photo of my jack in front of the heater on a K Series.

Please can you add some photos of your heater and battery so that we can look for possibilities.

Jonathan

Ah, OK. Not to worry. Thanks anyway Jonathan. Photos of engine bay included, but I'm not hopeful. I can't see any suitable spot, for something as large as a scissor jack at least.

Ian

20240423_201336.jpg

20240423_201406.jpg