Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Latest uprated shocks for Road.

Beagler

• Leadership Team

"...swopped to a secondhand set of Nitron supplied NTR1s and they were night and day better."

I assume you mean in terms of performance, possibly track related, Nick?  But in terms of on-road comfort, which is the OP's area of interest, then...???

James

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leadership Team

"Changed standard suspension to Meteor recommended spring rates and Nitron NTR1 a couple of years ago. Made a substantial impact to the comfort on B road use."

Me too.  Impact being the operative word!   One of the reasons for my perspective on this topic.  And I know I'm not alone...

James

• Leadership Team

"Now thats more like it gentlemen. Very helpful."

I do hope you got my meaning...

On road comfort being significantly impacted - to the point where I could hardly bear to drive the car on road.

But it was ace on trackdays.

And blissful on road (relatively speaking) with the OE Bilsteins refitted.

James

@ #30 sounds like your set up didn't suit you.

Changing springs and shocks has improved comfort on uneven surfaces and made the car more enjoyable to drive for me. The improvement was also immediately noted by my wife.

I'm sure the drivers view of any changes made to the car are relative to the starting point of the car spec, and drivers preferrences.

There are a lot of people very happy with the comfort of the Bilstein and Eibach combination in conjunction with standard fitment Avon ZZS. These are the tyres which have specifically been developed with the light weight of a Caterham in mind.

Although it may not be what you want to hear, using Nankang which are a very heavy tyre with a stiff sidewall may not in itself be helping you find the ride comfort you are looking for. They are more of a tin top tyre designed to carry more weight.

This could be leading you down the path of saving on tyres but spending even more on suspension trying to counteract the stiffer sidewall and additional unsprung mass.. I've no doubt there will be plenty of retailers out there willing to help you spend it though. You're welcome to do whatever you choose, but I thought I'd mention that incase it wasn't obvious. 

22daz

I asked the question with an open mind. I disagree re tyres I find the Nankangs are a more compliant ride than the original Avons and will replace with these again. Its unnecessary to remind me that I am welcome to do whatever I choose. Please be assured I will in case it wasnt obvious.

• Leadership Team

I'm running ZZS with NTR1s, the handling and confidence is very good but I still feel the shocks are over damped (Meteor supplied). Much better than my original Bilsteins but they're 20 years old so it's actually a comparison of apples and pears, unless I have the Bilsteins refurbished any comparison is invalid.

Beagle, you still haven't said what you think the problem is with your Bilsteins, or what improvement you expect.

Could I suggest you visit your local area meeting. Have a experienced member have a ride in your car. Explain what                         the problem is and ask  if they think there is a solution. You may even get a ride in a car with alternative suspension.                    Then you can compare and contrast. 

Stewart. Thanks for your suggestion. There is no specific issue with the Bilsteins already fitted. My post was to canvas members to ascertain if there was an upgrade or improved units just as the Motolita steering wheel is an improvement (aesthetically and feel to the Momo in my view). Likewise the 4 pot caliper upgrade kit and mastercylinder. There are adjustment options available with some suspension units and I'd hoped to hear those owners who had fitted such units. I will continue my search.

I think now its time to close this topic. *smile*

James

I used to experience a kind of oscillation when travelling down certain roads with a bumpy surface like the M20 in Kent.  The nose would bounce with the Bilsteins. Fitted the Nitrons and problem solved.  They just felt better as a damper. Now I know this is a complex subject and also it is hard to find a damper that will be good on road and track but I was relatively happy with my old Nitrons for road and track use.

Seen many car reviews that slate the ride being too harsh or too soft and these cars have millions of pounds spent on development and they still do not please everyone.  The original poster can ask a question and get hundreds of opinions but ultimately it's his car and he can decide what he wants to spend his money on. I am sure that the Bilsteins like any damper is built to a price, spending a bit more I would assume would get better quality, not always but hopefully and that quality adds up to good consistency in performance.  Whether most owners can distinguish that difference is always debatable.  Most of us, me included have cars with far more power and capability than we can master but does it really matter?

N

On certain concrete sections of the M42 I can induce oscillations in the suspension at certain speeds, just like wheel balance a couple of mph either way and all is fine, tried 3 different makes of dampers and several spring rates and you can always find it, 

Sadly  increased price does not always mean increased performance - marketing seems to skew this !

I would leave the OP to research elsewhere - he clearly knows best, several members have offered valid and constructive comments only to receive somewhat condescending replies...... *whistle* 

Interesting thread!

I will add my experience; my previous Seven was a Sigma Supersport on standard Bilsteins. It always felt firm and underdamped to me. Getting the car flat-floored helped greatly with the balance, but the car always struggled with bumps, especially short, sharp impacts. However it was a lot of fun!

I now have a 420R with Quantum one-way dampers. They have a total of 29 clicks of adjustment, with 'zero' being full hard, and winding it back from there. Initially, from the previous owner, I'd been told -12 clicks for track and -18 for road. And I have to say, even with a range of 29 clicks, just changing track to road (6 clicks of adjustment) can absolutely be felt! 

I've subsequently heard from Simon at Meteor that he recommends -22 to -24 for road use, however I found this too soft (!), with a lack of body control and noticeably more roll. So I run the car at -20 for the road.

One thing I will point out is that my Seven is certainly not a limousine, but it definitely rides better and absorbs the bumps better than my old Supersport.

However one final point; the recommended service interval of the Quantums is every 2 years, and the servicing is not cheap, so make sure you factor that into your buying equation.

I would leave the OP to research elsewhere - he clearly knows best, several members have offered valid and constructive comments only to receive somewhat condescending replies......  

Sadly it would seem this member degrades the debate into rudeness. 

Re Stu's comment, "Much better than my original Bilsteins but they're 20 years old so it's actually a comparison of apples and pears, unless I have the Bilsteins refurbished any comparison is invalid". I had my 15 year old Bilsteins rebuilt a few months ago and the difference, obviously, is there to be felt when driving the car. A lot more supple and an improved 'feel' to the car.

Beagler, people aren't being rude - you asked for advice and but then appear to be dismissing the majority of advice which is: don't both changing your dampers if your Bilsteins are in good condition and you are looking at comfort/road use.

If you go to any damper supplier and ask them for advice, I doubt they will tell you to keep your current dampers.  This is not a dig at damper suppliers - it's the way sales work.  The vast majority of 7 owners keep their standard dampers, hardly ever service them (if ever) and are generally happy.

Benf, It wont surprise you that I disagree on the standard of rudeness but I do appreciate your comment. There may be people who are content with their Bilstein but clearly there are some who have changed theirs not only for track use but for road and have found improvement. It was these people I wanted to canvas. 

I think again its time to end this thread.