Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3 short end allen key for gearbox filler plug

PEC

• 11 months later...

I've just done my gearbox oil change on a type 9 box. getting the plug out i used a 3/8 allen key cut down instead of the 10mm. it gave a little extra clearance which helped when try to engage it.

Putting the plug back in was really hard at first, but i then used a small length of 8mm tube to aid holding the plug. this left the thread clear so i could lightly get some grips on it. This was enough to get the thread started, i then pulled out the tube and carried on with the allen key.

This may be helpfull to others.Gearboxplug_0.jpg.87557ecb261f509c88737755c4d54fe7.jpg

Further to this and off topic, changing oil in box and diff of a mates 2013 135bhp Sigma car. 

No trouble with the box but can't get my diff filler plug tool into the plug on this car because it's at an angle (mine is horizontal) and close up to the de Dion tube  

Any tips? What size hex is in the plug? How do you clear the de Dion? 

#31 Yes and yes. On the stands the de Dion is close to or resting on the chassis. Jacking up on the A Frame/de Dion doesn't raise it enough to clear the plug.  

A 10mm Allen key seems way too small. It's very hard to get sight of the end of the plug but we tried a 10mm and it seemed way too small. 

#32 Tried that JK, still poor access. 

I'm not near the car at the moment but I'll ask for a pic. 

Moving from the de Dion resting on the chassis, as it is when on stands, to the full weight on the Jack at the de Dion/A frame point would move it through the full range I would have thought? It's too close for easy access at any time. 

I would have thought the correct size Allen key, cut down, would fit but can't even get a decent view to figure out the size. 

• Area Representative

"I think we might be talking about the new fangled BMW diff"

Ahh. That makes sense. I still wouldn't have thought it would be difficult. I'm sure I've topped up a BMW diff before with no problem. 

#41 what year is your car James? 

Mine is 14mm too, but a 2015 car and the level plug is vertical where this angles downwards, straight at the de Dion. 

As I've said,a cut down Allen key could well fit but it's hard to even see what the size is. Another option might be to load up weight in the car and then Jack it to see if the de Dion then goes above the plug.