Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cafe Racer LED light upgrade.

Andrew P

Evening all, thinking about getting these for my 310, but I am confused by the wiring diagram as it seems to neglect the yellow wire!

Assume the white and yellow would connect to the sidelight wires, similar to the JAL instruction video? Anyone fitted these or lights with similar wiring that can help?

So, got and tried to fit these today thanks to K7 VCT for some WhatsApp assistance!

Sidelights work ok, but when I go to dipped beam, it looks like it's on full beam and the blue light on the dash comes on. The full beam toggle does nothing.

When on sidelights the flash toggle works fine, but does nothing when on dipped beam.

What have I broked / not done?!

• 6 months later...

Im sorry to dig up and old thread but I've bought a pair of these and are now on the car. Whats the easiest way to wire these up so that they come on when I start the car?

In essence I want the DRL's on but not the rear lights. Turning the side lights on would then turn the rear sidelights on with the DRL's...

Many Thanks

You'll need to take a feed from somewhere. If you want to avoid wires going through the transmission tunnel and into the main loom, then you could take a feed from the brake light switch, which has a permanent (but switched) live, or on some cars you may be able to get a feed from the radiator fan. I believe the K series loom has a live feed to the fan, which is switched on its way to earth.

If you want the DRLs to also come on if you use the sidelight switch with the ignition off, you'd need a double feed, with diodes to prevent the current feeding back from the ignition feed through the rear and instrument lights.

Thanks.

As Roger says you'll need to stop the DRLs which come on with the ignition feeding the rear position lights through the factory wiring which connects them to the front position lights.

And you can do it

• With diodes, as above.
• With a changeover relay in the feed to the DRLs so that they can be powered either by the new ignition circuit or by the factory sidelight circuit.
• With some sort of relay in the feed or earth to the rear position lights. (It would be amusing to isolate their earth with a relay from the new DRL circuit!)

I can't see any advantage in the third of these.

Experts, please: What are the advantages and disadvantages of diodes and a changeover relay? If diodes are preferable what's the specification?

NB: If you run a new circuit remember that it might need a new or differently rated fuse.

Jonathan

Personally I wouldn't bother with the sidelight feed. There's few situations where you need sidelights with the ignition off, unless you're likely to park it at night on a road with a speed limit of over 30mph. Some readings of the MOT tester's manual might suggest that it's a requirement, but I doubt any decent MOT shop would complain. 

Hi Jonathan, a wiring diagram would be great thank you, shall I pm you my email address? I do have a multimeter yes. 

Thanks for the replies - I know people are wondering why but I like the look of the DRL's, I don't like the look of the rear lights when they're on (I have clear lenses). I also very rarely drive at night so I thought if it wasn't too much bother I'd get them wired up this way.

Cheers, Tom 

• 1 year later...
On 14/12/2021 at 07:55, Mrb00ns said:

Dead easy to fit, as mentioned above the yellow wire is not used. Otherwise it is just a case of swap over (you might need to pop on some new connectors too but no big problems). 

Where does the red wire pick up power from, for the DRL, can I use the side light connector or do you have to run a new wire.