Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1997 S3 Ford X-flow - Heater

rayjackson1950

• Leadership Team

Do you have the cutouts in the engine bay to take a heater, likely covered with a large right angled plate? 

For a 1997 car the current Caterham heater is the wrong one, the correct heater that fits the cutouts (if that's what you have) has a large "7" on the casing, likely only available used.

Stu.

I have a 1998 car and this is the type of heater I have fitted. As Stu says you will either have cutouts in the bulkhead covered with a plate or no cutouts. This is called the fresh air type heater and links up with a set of louvers on the bonnet to blow cold air into the cockpit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-7-Genuine-Caterham-heater-matrix-blower-complete/143915126951?hash=item21820290a7:g:CZcAAOSw0Ihf~Byp

There is an earlier metal box type heater which just has holes in the horizontal panel on the bulkhead. This just blows hot air.

A picture of the bulkhead will help us advise what needs doing. 

Ian

• Leadership Team

The two heaters that Caterham sell are for either the swoopy CSR dash, or everything else. The one you've linked to is for the latter.

However, both are for the later style (post 2014) bulkhead cutout as per the picture below. If your car is earlier and has the holes in both the vertical and horizontal panels, hence the angled blanking panel, you'll either need an earlier style heater, or you'll need to blank off / modify the cutouts you have.

For a 1997 car, behind the blanking plate in the vertical panel you'll have a very large hole, nearly the size of the blanking plate itself, and in the horizontal panel you'll have two smaller holes, from memory approx 2" x 3" each. These would need blanking down to replicate the later bulkhead and plain heater tray, "heater tray" is the correct term for the horizontal panel below the bulkhead panel.

Stu.

scuttle-panel-s3-rhd.jpg.11141a1240f81d4dbe230e6ccc556eb0.jpg

Could be - the OP's car is a 97 and mine is a 98 K with the plastic heater so not far apart in the production. I'm not sure why a tall blanking plate would be used on the vertical of the bulkhead unless there is a hole there?

I guess any heater can be fitted with the corresponding scuttle panels.