Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car hard to push?

Tight fart

My x/flow seems to have very poor rolling resistance (i.e. lots of it) If I jack the wheels of the ground to check the brakes are not binding, they are all fine. But compared to another Caterham it is very hard to push.

So how can I improve it, and what could cause it? all I can come up with is the gearbox,and tyre pressures (18psi) so would changing the gearbox oil help and if so to what?

When I had the pre-load on my de-dion diff reduced I discovered that it was suddenly a lot easier to push. Perhaps someone could clarify something for me. Would this apparent rolling resistance increase with speed or would it remain consistant ? To what extent could it harm performance

Could it be tyres ?

I noticed MAJOR difference when I changed from Cr322's to A021's - pushing it around the garage nd also when turning at low speeds.

Not helped by 17psi A021's and 26psi Cr322's (when I eventually got around to checking them !!! - no wonder they were a little bit low on grip *eek*)

tyres affect it.

wide slicks make it really hard to push!

I always feel my car is hardish to push about. When on the road and esp when warm it rolls really well so I have never worried about it.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 22 Mar 2003 21:01:23