Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Feedback wind deflectors

paisesmediterraneos

Hello, I am David from Spain. I use to drive my Cat with the doors fitted, because when I remove the doors it's very windy  inside the car. I found at Caterhamparts a wind deflectors kit; do any of you tried them?, will they stop the wind inside the cockpit as the doors do?. I am thinking about buying the kit, but I don't know if they will work fine or not.

Regards, David.

I only use mine with half doors as otherwise the buffetting is almost as unpleasant as without the deflectors. The problem is the air rushing around the screen is not very effectively deflected as the deflectors in standard form lay too flat against the bodywork. At least in Spain the rushing air is warm 

• Area Representative

If you drive along and push them outwards so they make more of an angle to the sideskin, you will find the buffeting will reduce quite a bit and you will then know where to position them if you warm the perspex and bend the bottom section in to the scuttle. Use a heat gun carefully or stick them in boiling water which takes a lot longer to make them pliable.  I found them very comfortable up to 70 with them sticking out quite a bit - similar to how Cobra 427's are positioned.  Certainly worth a try if you want to keep the screen and go doorless.

I have a set for my car, the buffeting is an issue and as suggested a greater angle may help.

Below 60ks it’s not to bad but above that I recommend ear plugs/defenders as they will help stop your ears from being pounded from the buffeting.

Just as Nick says, they are next to useless out of the box, but put the lower half into boiling water for a couple of minutes and carefully bend them inwards so that they will stick out into the airstream more and they work quite well.  I would say they are worth getting and modifying.

I don't find them particularly effective, but they do make some difference and I prefer them to doors in the summer.  I didn't bend them in hot water or with a heat gun, but rather attached a piece of bent Al bar coated in shrink wrap to the lower bolt of the lower hinge attachments: all seems perfectly stable and is (semi-)adjustable (I was concerned about the deflector chafing the paint where it made contact with the sideskin) ...

DSC_0536.JPG.d33bd23baced4dd2e90094aff89da873.JPG

• 5 weeks later...