Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ride height

James.Burton

My sump used to scrape and occasionally the car  would bottom out. I got coil-overs for  the front and cranked them as high as they would go. No more scraping-no more bottoming out.

9 hours ago, Rex said:

My sump used to scrape and occasionally the car  would bottom out. I got coil-overs for  the front and cranked them as high as they would go. No more scraping-no more bottoming out.

That sounds a logical way to go………….. 

What is the normal ride height for a 7 on 14" wheels. I had a look last night and with non adjustable shocks I've got over 90mm (70mm + 18mm planks and a bit of a gap) under the sump.

7 minutes ago, Miker7 said:

What is the normal ride height for a 7 on 14" wheels. I had a look last night and with non adjustable shocks I've got over 90mm (70mm + 18mm planks and a bit of a gap) under the sump.

"A widely recommended minimum is the ability to roll a Coke can under the lowest point. That's 66 mm. But there are many experiences in the archives describing 75 mm as being needed to clear obstacles."

Jonathan

2 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

"A widely recommended minimum is the ability to roll a Coke can under the lowest point. That's 66 mm. But there are many experiences in the archives describing 75 mm as being needed to clear obstacles."

Jonathan

Appreciate that's "normal", but on my roadsport I can't adjust the springs so i was wondering if my height is "normal" for 14" wheels or if it indicates something is amiss? On the bright side, i should have no issue getting onto the brake rollers this evening for the MOT.

1 hour ago, Miker7 said:

Appreciate that's "normal", but on my roadsport I can't adjust the springs so i was wondering if my height is "normal" for 14" wheels or if it indicates something is amiss? On the bright side, i should have no issue getting onto the brake rollers this evening for the MOT.

I think it somewhat depends on the engine fitted. For example, the Sigma is a less-tall engine than the wet sump K or Duratec, so an extra 10mm under the sump might give a similar ride height. 

56 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

I think it somewhat depends on the engine fitted. For example, the Sigma is a less-tall engine than the wet sump K or Duratec, so an extra 10mm under the sump might give a similar ride height. 

This is on a wet sump K Series - so potentially a little high but also in the ball park for normal based on the Sigma comment above so stop wondering and start worrying about the MOT 😄 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just had a look in my assembly guide for a k-series:

RH20240503_183601.thumb.jpg.d62b52dd7d2f26ceb58ea0614c996ebc.jpg

My K-series SS was on 14"s and did not have adjustable suspension.  Perhaps adjustable was only std on those Ks with 13"s? With 14"s, you would have an extra 12-13mm of clearance.

66mm might be the diameter of a coke can, but 75mm is roughly the length of a SwissCard...of course, that's not much use if you don't have one...

Edited by JP

Posted (edited)

So...I planned to do a rough check of ride height today, just to get it in a safe ball park range for a first longer drive out to get a full flat floor set up next week.  I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle in that I've run out of front spring adjustment with a sump that is way too low at 55mm.  My car was originally a SS with widetrack non-adjustable suspension on 14" wheels.  In my rebuild I switched to Pro-Techs, but re-used the front springs because they were more or less new when I took the car off the road.  I sent the old front shocks to Pro-Tech so they could see that they were for wide track (they have the extension piece at the top).  Here is the position today on 185/60/13 R888Rs:

55mm sump clearance (without me in the car):

20240504_105132.thumb.JPG.4cb9318cbad53eb67cf050ed8ddbe186.JPG

And shock adjuster position:

20240504_104805.thumb.JPG.78ab11d3a7c0a3a94ae453c3788b17d9.JPG

Do I just need longer springs, or should the shocks go back to Pro-tech for longer shocks?  If I just need springs, any recommendations?  Need quick delivery becuase the car is booked in for a FF setup on Thursday...

Edited by JP

If I go with longer springs, does a 9" spring sound right?  I think my current springs are std 7" (1.9"ID) 150lb - the markings are not clear.  On the car they are approx 5" long and I think 2" compression with about 130kg on them sounds about right for a 150lb spring?

So if I want an extra 20mm sump clearance I think need a little over 1" extra spring length (assuming the spring is at roughly 45degrees) and say another 1" so that the spring adjuster isn't right at the end of the threaded portion of the shock?  Should I change the spring rate too?  Its a road car with occasion track days, say 3-4 per year max...

Cheers @ScottR400D - I'll get on to Protech and PT who will do the setup.  I was rather hoping that there might be an obvious solution that I can address before the appointment next week.  I fear I may have to post-pone the setup...

Posted (edited)

Change to stiffer springs. 55mm without your weight is way too low. My SV was fitted with 170lb springs and I changed to 250, then 300 👍 the spring is much longer too.

Edited by SM25T
  • Like 1

• Area Representative
30 minutes ago, JP said:

Cheers @7 wonders of the world - I did ask Pro-Tech before flipping them and they said that it wouldn't be an issue, but I'll check again with them when I discuss the solution to the ride height problem.  Cheers for the heads-up.

Like you, I found Protech very obliging. It's great to support them. Excellent service, nice design and good pricing. 

Thanks @SM25T - it looks as if mine will be coming off again shortly anyway...☹️

This is really irritating.  I was really looking forward to getting the last of the key bits of the rebuild done and just enjoying the car again...

On 04/05/2024 at 14:32, SM25T said:

Change to stiffer springs. 55mm without your weight is way too low. My SV was fitted with 170lb springs and I changed to 250, then 300 👍 the spring is much longer too.

The longer the spring (all else being equal), the lower the spring rate.  I guess the stiffer springs are longer just because they are also different in terms of the spec of the spring.  I'd try to stick with a softish spring for road use, but as said, an expert who's sold springs for Caterhams before can advise.

2 hours ago, BenF said:

The longer the spring (all else being equal), the lower the spring rate. 

Slightly misleading statement there.  What governs the spring rate (assuming wire diameter and diameter of coil remains the same) is the number of coils.  So if you lengthen the spring by adding coils then yes, the rate will be lower but if it is lengthened by spacing out the same number of coils then the rate remains the same.