Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Wheel bearings pre 03

auyt

I am probably rehashing a previous post, but the search engine turned up zilch.

have been chasing new front wheel bearings for my 85 Caterham. The originals are KOYO  pno. 03052 and 03152. After some frustration of buying Triumph units I discover that the bearing are specific to Caterham..gurrr.

how have others tackled this as Caterham don’t have any.

The bearings would not be specific to Caterham. They would only buy something off the shelf ... not have one made just for their design. I did not like the very small outer bearing .... so fitted the hub upgrade kit .... the stub shaft is the same diameter for both bearings. I know it is expensive ... but very worthwhile. Redline stocks this upgrade kit too.

Just to clarify the new stub axle supplied with the upgrade kit uses the same bearing for inner and outer race, so the axle is the same diameter for both.

You could infer from the above that the  original axle and the upgraded bearing axle are the same (well I read it like that!)

Ian

Thanks guys I will look into the upgrade it, 

The KOYO Bearing parts numbers don’t appear on the KOYO web page or the international bearing data base that accessed by those who pay for it. 

The upgrade kit works OK but I found that the disc ran too close to the track rod end dust cover for comfort so I added an extra spacer washer (extra wide track, wow!), the down side being that you'll need a thinner split pin with the castellated nut being slightly further outboard.