Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Octane boosters

David aka Blue7

Does anyone use octane boosters and if so would you recommend any particular brand?  A Google lists 5 recommended products Torco, Klotx, Royal Purple Max Boost, Lucas -Oil Octane Boost and 104+ Fuel Octane Boost.  I do recall the old days when Redex was added and it still seems to be available at Halfords ... and is at least a name I am familiar with. 

David

I wouldn't use anything unless there was a particular problem.

What engine, modifications and compression ratio do you have? And are you in the UK?

Jonathan

PS: There are reported experiences in the archives of improved running with high octane fuel available in other European countries. But I'm not convinced...

Hi Jonathan

Yes still in the UK unless madam Nicola manages to extract us in the future with another indiref.

CSR260, running lean but MBE ECU locked and not willing to travel all the way to Crawley.  Just spoken to Stuart of Premiere Power, two options being new ECU or try an octane additive.  My car runs ok on premium fuel but further north in Highlands, it is all standard fuel and the engine pinks.  The idea is to increase the octane of the standard fuel.  Before anyone suggests it ... no I am not willing to add a bottle of malt whisky *eek*

David

Jeff at HWR recommended I used an octane booster if I cannot get 98 for my upgraded engine - he supplied me some which I have used from time to time when abroad - I do not have a view on what it does!! I cannot recall what it is called but will try and remember to look next time I am in the garage!

Our experience (not on Caterham engines) was that we used Millers CVL on our Lotus TC engines https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60237-millers-oils-cvl-turbo-octane-booster.aspx, which apparently had a valve lubricant as well, this was recommended by our engine builder.

My engineer now has swapped to TetraBoost which another engine builder had recommended. http://tetraboost.com/. Both seem to work just fine.

I have seem some guys mix Shell V Power with Avgas 50/50 but apparently it's getting harder to get!

Yes (see my post no. 3 above) but the MBE ECU is locked and a replacement would cost £573 plus VAT.  An easy solution would be for CC to supply the pass-code at the request of the owner but they refuse.  Mine has already been back to the factory once because of ECU issues but all they did was to remove the map from my ECU and install a map they copied from another CSR that was in the workshop at that time.

I might well bite the bullet and get a new ECU from Santa but Premiere Power suggested trying an octane booster so I thought I would give it a go meantime.

David

David,

Coincidentally I was watching ‘Fifth Gear Series 12 Episode 5’ on YouTube:

It has and article on Octane boosters 8min 30sec in. It may be of interest to you.

Although with your CSR you are unlikely to notice the change in power.

Phil

Well that's quite remarkable, all 4 products tested resulted in a -2% drop in power! 

It isn't surprising.

There are two ways in which a higher octane fuel can increase usable power:

1. It can allow the engine to run in a condition that would otherwise invoke unwanted detonation. But it isn't really increasing the power output.
  2. At the design stage or with engineering changes it can allow a higher compression ratio without unwanted detonation. The higher ratio allows higher thermodynamic efficiency. That can genuinely increase power output.

But if 1 doesn't apply and the additive delivers less heat of combustion than the displaced original fuel then less power would be expected.

With automated knock detection the power can also be reduced because of the response of eg changing the timing.

Jonathan

PS: Were the quoted tests capable of detecting a 2% change?

All the four products that are mentioned in the 5th gear report would never be used on a race track as people know that they are just "cosmetic" products. Most of us use the legitimate products (like Tetraboost and Millers etc) to stop pre-detonation and to save the engines, not for more power per se.

Although saying that we got a standard MG 1600cc K engine, we dynode it on Shell V Power and it came out at 130 bhp, we then flushed through some F1 (pump fuel :0)) and with 3 runs it gave 140bhp, this is with standard ecu and ignition timings. The fuel smelt sweet and  started to dissolve all our fuel lines. Putting V power back in the power dropped to 130 bhp. So it's not the full story when so called experts say you have to advance timing etc.

The answer was in the calorific value of the fuel not the octane rating.