Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Li Ion batteries

Mucus72

Has there been any discussion here about charging LiFePO4 batteries at low temperatures and driving your car at temperatures below 0C?

When I've looked at LiFePO4 batteries for my campervan, they are usually specced to -20C for discharge, but the lower limit is 0C for charging.  If it has an integrated BMS (battery management system), then this may be set to  prevent charging below 0C to protect the battery , but if you drive your car, then the battery's just discharging.  If the BMS doesn't prevent charge below 0C, then you risk damaging your battery.  

Simon

Thanks Jonathan that's what I hoped but didn't want to risk it after investing recently in new battery and ECU!

Its a Motocell Lithium Gold (sold locally under that brand but probably available in UK under something else?)

I can't imagine a battery in the engine bay would remain at below 0 degrees for very long, and if it's just started the car that's probably enough to raise the temperature to a safe level to receive charge from the alternator.

Unless you're in the arctic circle at < -40 deg C. In which case a Li-Ion battery might not be the best choice. Or, indeed, a Caterham.

• 2 months later...

Aghhh update I fitted a motocell lithium gold to my k series 4 months ago.... advised by shop that 6ah would do it but " no warranty as your putting a motorcycle battery on a car"...what could possibly go wrong? Soooo

4 months 3 accident full discharges & 100kms of an alternator hanging off and dead....

trying a lithiumax 520 cca now warranted for 2 years but $600... will also check alternator when fitting to ensure a1....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I like the "restart technology" on that Antigravity one. Basically, the low-voltage cut-off in the BMS is set rather higher than usual, when there's still enough charge left for one or two starts. It cuts the power then (preventing further drain from immobiliser, headlights left on or whatever) then when you realise, you just have to press a button to bring it back to life - unlike other BMS's which usually require you to connect a charger or boost pack to bring it back to life. A simple idea, obvious in hindsight. Not cheap though, is it?

I like the "restart technology" on that Antigravity one. Basically, the low-voltage cut-off in the BMS is set rather higher than usual, when there's still enough charge left for one or two starts. It cuts the power then (preventing further drain from immobiliser, headlights left on or whatever) then when you realise, you just have to press a button to bring it back to life - unlike other BMS's which usually require you to connect a charger or boost pack to bring it back to life. A simple idea, obvious in hindsight. Not cheap though, is it?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update, in case it helps anyone; I bought a Enduroline EC680 from Tayna for £88 inc delivery in May. The terminals take slightly smaller bolts than the PC680 Odyssey that came with my 620S, but that doesn't really matter as the new battery came with a set of bolts.  Otherwise it slipped straight in and has worked perfectly.  I can't confirm longevity yet, nor the claimed specifications, but I can confirm it works just fine, and is quite a bit cheaper than the Odyssey option.

I have literally just fitted the JWM-PS-12 LiFePO4 and started the car straight from storage of the battery. Display was indicating 13.2.

I wonder if someone can explain the starting behaviour in my 1.6 Sigma car? First press of Start often just produces a tick. Second Start literally flies! I've just put it on charge but I suspect it was full already.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Area Representative

Aft'noon all,

JK has twisted my arm to throw my experience of Lithium batteries into the ring here.

Firstly, after the second Banner battery died on me in the space of 3 years, I decided I'd go Lithium. I nearly did when the first Banner died but I needed something quick and so just went with what I knew - Banner.

But when the second one went, it was time for Lithium. 

My first purchase (yes there's more than one), was a Varley Li-5. This had been recommended to me so that's what I went with. 

Specification

• Model: 7162-0002
  • Battery Chemistry: LiFePO4
  • Nominal Voltage: 12.8V
  • Capacity: 5.5Ah
  • Short Circuit Peak Current: 736A
  • Cranking Current*: 335A
  • Dimensions (LxWxH): 99 x 82 x 95mm
  • Weight: 1.1kg
  • Terminals: M6 Female
  • Operating Temperature: -10ºC to +50ºC
  • Storage Temperature: -20ºC to +60ºC

Unfortunately after installing it and playing around with mounting options, including buying the Varley Mounting Bracket for the Li-5, it was clear after a few weeks that the Li-5 wasn't up to the job for a 420 2.0L Duratec. Turnover was very sluggish and it didn't take many cranks for the battery to then twist the engine even more slowly. It never actually let me down starting the car, but that was probably only a matter of time.

So, I went back to the Demon Tweeks website and had a look around for something bigger. I landed on the VT-900.. here's the specs from the Varley site:

Specifications:

• DMS Part No: 7162-0068
  • Voltage: 12V
  • Capacity: 16Ah
  • CA:160A
  • CCA:900A
  • Terminals: M6 Female
  • Weight: 2.5kg
  • Dimensions (mm) LxWxH: 175 x 87 x 155

As you can see this has nearly 3 times the cranking current and lights my 420 up like it's been struck by lightning. The engine cranks really quickly and fires immediately. Much much better than the Li-5 and much better than the Banner.

The battery has been installed for about 9 months and has held its charge over the winter, even without being on a battery conditioner.

To be honest, I think this battery is overkill for a 420, but it certainly seems to do the job, for the moment. And there are as many solutions to this problem as there are cars. 🙂 

Mounting

I also recently modelled and printed a battery tray so the smaller VT-900 sits in the space that the Banner originally sat in. See pictures below. The battery needed to be located in the centre of the tray, but also needed raising. The 3D print solves that problem in all three dimensions.

STEP And STL files attached and linked here...

420 Lithium Battery VT-900 Base v2.step 

420 Lithium Battery VT-900 Base v2.stl

The mount has been installed for a few months and is working well at the moment.

image.thumb.jpeg.76f16aa206eca89637db2c8853a54c6c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3958b46d9469a34fc804d9fe648ad1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.aca8aad7298f0e2008ad0201cb5b5040.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The JMT below has no issues with my. High Compression Duratec

The immobiliser can drain it after a couple weeks so mine is hooked to to a NOCO Genius conditioner

• hjtx20h-fp-jmt-lithium-ion-battery-463-p.jpg
HJTX20H-FP JMT Lithium ion battery
Code: 707.00.32
£ 193.59 £218.64 save:£25.05 ✔
(Ex £161.33)
Replacement for: YTX20H-BS, YTX20-BS, YB16-B-CX, YB16-B, YB16C-B, YB18-A, Y50-N18A-A, YTX20HL-BS, YTX24HL-BS, YTX15L-BS, YTX18L-BS, YTX20L-BS, YB16HL-A-CX, Y50-N18L-A-CX, YB16L-B, YB16L-A2, YB16CL-B, YB18L-A, YB18L-A2, Y50-N18L-A, Y50N18L-A2, Y50N18L-A3, SYB16L-B and SY50-N18L-AT batteries

Add To Basket
Description Specification

Need technical help? Call: 07710480216
Elite Motorcycle Services

› Address: 12 Wyvill Close, Gillingham, Kent,