Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Light Weight High Performance Battery - Maybe The Ultimate One

Geoff Brown

• Area Representative

Came across an advert for this German produced battery in a magazine.

Like a lot of 'hi tech' batteries it is not cheap at 647 Euros but for all those add lightness freaks out there this is it.

Produced to typical Tuetonic quality the battery for the Seven, LB11XX (I assume) is only 123mm(5") L x 97mm(3.75") B x 100mmm(4") H !!!!! The weight saving is significant & the durability mind bogglingly good.

Maybe I should try for club discount......?

More info here:

https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox-lb11xx-racing-battery/

That's a very interesting question. And while I've been playing hokey cokey with my battery for the past month I've been thinking about it:

1. The performance of those boosters is very impressive.
  2. But some have been very unreliable.
  3. And I have no idea how they would perform across the entire range of operation required of a car battery in addition to simply starting an engine (or charging a 'phone!). 
  4. The few 7 owners that have fitted "normal" lithium batteries seem pretty happy, and winter doesn't seem to have been a problem.
  5. But they're very expensive compared to lead batteries (including the light lead AGM batteries that many of us use and I currently recommend).
  6. And I don't know how much clever circuitry they contain, see 3.
  7. It's hard to get reliable data on different types because of the now-known between-7 variation in drain at rest and because some of us use isolator switches and some don't. And because some 7s sit unused for long times. And some live on conditioning chargers and some don't.
  8. And there's understandable reluctance to try something new because of the sheer hassle of unreliable starting.

There's a lot of relevant information on cost, mass, nominal energy storage and nominal starting current in the archives but it's *scattered across multiple threads.

I'd put my money on big name "normal" lithium batteries coming down in price quite soon and rapid uptake following. But we could review the nominal data on a lithium battery booster with proven reliability and speculate... and it would be possible to fit one while keeping the "nornal" battery onboard...

Jonathan

* All I want for Xmas is a multi-author technical wiki...