Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uprated Brake pads

paul jacobs

An old topic I know, and plenty in the archives, but I cannot find anything definitive as a way of upgrading the standard front brake pads.  Maybe there isn't any way and I will have to go for a set of AP racing calipers and discs,

Is there a pad which really improves the front end braking using the standard calipers and discs?  I don't want to waste money on pads and find they don't significantly make any improvements.

BTW, having tried EBC pads, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, so please don't suggest them.

I've gone from the standard pads on standard calipers to the much discussed / recommended combination of Minex 1144 - MGB533 version up front and caterham blue dot rears available on the Caterham parts site at the rear. I can confirm that balance with this setup is good (better than the slightly over braked at the rear standard setup) and that overall performance is improved. It's not night and day different but is a worthwhile improvement for a relatively small outlay. 

The Mintex pads also have really good bite from cold which makes them good on road or track.

Tom

Sounds like Minex 1144 is a popular choice for the front but what about the rear if you've got drums? 

I don't want to upset the balance and the car seems ok but I think the pads and shoes are the originals which means they are 30 years old and overdue for replacement!

The car is a 1987 Supersprint with drum brakes and di dion back end.

Any thoughts?

Thank you to all who gave advice.  I have ordered a set of MGB533 M1144 pads and will report back when I have had a chance to assess them.  I found them at a mob called Godspeed Motorsport and paid £34.33 incl. P&P, if anyone else is after some.

I should have mentioned that the car is a little lighter on the front end because it is fitted with a bike engine/gearbox combo, (from an R1), so this may cause a problem or two, but I can always put the originals back if necesary, but they just don't have the bite I am looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS 2500  are good for trackdays  but if you use the car on the road, std pads from Caterham are better in cold situation . Same for the semi slick tyres which can be tricky when cold .

Personnally , I tried the std Caterham pads, then the Ferodo DS 2500, then I go back to the std pads . 

Green EBC pads seems to be interesting   (  less dust  :-)  )

Orangepeel - That sounds an un-usual set up. A de-dion with drum brakes?

Mine is a 1988 Live Axle car car with the Ital back axle. Originally the rear had drum brakes, but I've had it converted to discs. Night and day difference in brake performance / balance. Ask if you want details.

Clive.

• 2 weeks later...

Orangepeel,

Thats not an unusual set up for a car of that vintage, my 88 supersprint had rear drums when I first got it. I did change them out for for a little used set of rear discs and calipers. Not too hard a job as i remember and im sure there is something on here about what is required.

I used Green EBC pads on the front and standard pads on the back and the balance was ok for road and track use.

Hope this helps