Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First service Oil Change

Yellow47tc

i have my first service (1000 mile) booked and whilst the schedule only includes checks and bolt tightening I am concidering if I should have the oil and filter changed. Otherwise it is not due until 12 months or 6k I believe. Old school would suggest it would be wise to change after the first 1000 miles. Sigma engined self built 270s. Any thoughts?

On the k series I used mineral oil and on its first service (500 miles) it went on to synthetic. Looks like Caterham view that as not necessary on the more modern sigma.

Personally I'd change the oil, costs little and gives you peace of mind.

I'm in the same camp as Ian, oil changed on our tintop VW diesels every 6 months. Less than £30 a time, but oil in a turbo diesel has a hard life

Modern oil s better for the environment it needs less changing lasts longer and is capable of testing to give the condition of the engine if the oil is changed to often you lose the history . Take a look at Ford service intervals ! It's a modern engine not a K 

No argument that oil is so much better now John. I don't think Rover suggested an oil change after 1000 miles on the k series either.

I haven't got any data on what is in the oil of a Caterham sigma engine after 1000 miles, and that is why I'd want to change it.

Interesting if I look to Ford for their oil service intervals. Looking at the same engine in UK and US I get different change intervals.

Someone has asked about getting the oil changed. Not surprised they have two different answers.

Yep, changed my oil n filter on my SV at that time.  Usual stuff, smear of oil on the filter seal etc. I had trouble getting the factory fitted filter off, I think they employed a gorilla to put it on! I don't normally jack the car up (too lazy), just a shallow drip tray under the sump and as mentioned, go in underneath with a double extension/socket.  I always change the filter when changing the oil to be honest. Good luck.  

I did oil and filter on my 270 self build at 1000 miles.  It sounds like you are getting your dealer to do the 1,000 miler, if not, I can give you part numbers and sources for the Ford filter, sump washer, and filter removal tool which prevents an awful lot of swearing.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments. I have decided to go for an oil and filter change and for caterham to do that while they have it in for the first 1000 mile service.  Largely for peace of mind as I have grown up on older engines and I am no expert on modern oil technology.

I think the oil change is worth doing; won't do any harm and cheap enough. 

Not sure why you having CC do the service though? Especially as you built it yourself, it's a doddle and you'll possibly do it more thoroughly. Part of the reason I have a 7 is so that I can do all the maintenance.  

There was one on the old blatchat site - not sure if the checklist migrated over??

Is that Shaun's schedule or something else?

Service Schedule list is also available in the Owners Handbook, which can be downloaded from the CC website as a PDF.

I have many (? all) of the old versions of the Assembly Guides and Handbooks: just ask.

Jonathan

here is my list....

ENGINE
CHANGE OIL
CHANGE FILTER
CLEAN / ADJUST SPARK PLUGS
CHANGE SPARK PLUGS (EVERY 3 YEARS)
CHECK EXHAUST FOR SECURITY AND LEAKS
RENEW CAM BELT (EVERY 5 YEARS)
CHECK ENGINE MOUNTINGS FOR SECURITY

ELECTRICAL
CHECK ALTERNATOR BELT - ADJUST/REPLACE AS NECESSARY