Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement Shock Absorber - Options

finmac

Having sold SLR no 61 a couple of years ago I am very fortunate to have purchased SLR no 46 recently. The car is a credit to its previous owner and is in very original condition with only 11K miles from new. It is also unusually (for an SLR) almost entirely unmodified and original. 

The shocks are Bilsteins with adjustable platforms and I was toying with possibly replacing these with something newer. I am a wee bit out of touch and wondered what my options were please? 

Looking fast road/occasional track day useage and trying to keep the budget sensible!

It's funny - my caterham has standard Bilsteins and I've never really thought about swapping them but I wouldn't track a bike without an ohlins on it.  On a bike, cheap shocks are either stiff and skittish over bumps or any softer and they wallow,  whereas with a good 2-way adjustable shock set up right you get a plush ride, a planted back end and far better tyre wear.  I imagine a Caterham with a set of nitrons (or ohlins!) would be like a different car.  Hmmm.  Maybe I should start saving too....

If you fancy getting change out of £500 for all 4 corners try the attached

www.protechshocks.co.uk

Changed the old Bilsteins on my 1400 Supersport for these (single adjusters) and never looked back. Well made, good level of dampening and good value. I think they are or at least were the main supplier to Westfield.

You might also want to look at springs at the same time - I went for 250 front/150 rears (was 300/200 which was a bit too hard for road use) which works pretty well for roads use on the K series. No doubt a CSR will be a diffrent beast