Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham boot

Ngh30

• Area Representative

I met Jez Coates at Dartford in the early 1990s to discuss certain issues with my Seven. In general conversation I questioned the plywood as part of the boot floor. He in reply stated that it was part of the crash protection structure !

Think what you like & of course he may have been joking but when you look at it in the round he may have also been telling the truth..........

That piece of plywood has always been there probably for good reason, just not cost cutting.

I think there was a sheet aluminium boot floor option before the honeycomb board, which made it a bit easier to seal the boot from the tank area.
When the honeycomb floor was made available (along with the kit for the tank), the usual procedure seemed to be to keep the plain ali panel for the front part - or the plywood piece if you weren't racing, only lightly fixed down (if at all) - in order to have something more 'deformable' if you got smacked from behind, a bit of space before the honeycomb punched into the bulkhead, but still reduce the chances of the tank being crushed and split. I think that was the theory at least...