Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyreweld v Spare Wheel

Blacken

My current Seven came with no spare wheel. Instead, there was a tin of Tyreweld fastened to one of the struts inside the boot.

Caterham Cars also do not really go out of their way to encourage new car buyers to fit spare wheels. I would appreciate any views of owners on the subject - good or bad.

I use the car for touring mainly. My previous Sevens all had a spare wheel fitted but l never had any recourse to use it - maybe l was just lucky!

Any observations would be very welcome.

I have a spare, but in ten years have never had to use it.

A couple of thoughts though; a bit like the AA, you would only have to use it once to see how useful it may be, and if touring, especially abroad, how easy would it be to replace?

I'll stick with mine I think.

Col

I cut my spare wheel hoop off years ago and always carry tyre weld. I've left two stubs of tube so I could refit if I went touring.

Recently I've purchased (after reading a thread) some tyre strings from ebay which are sticky strings you insert with a tool. These can be used to fix small cuts by using 2.

Depending on the age/type of chassis you have there may be two inserts welded into the lower tube on the back panel to allow a hoop to be retro fitted. I believe you pass a cap head bolt through this and into the threaded end of the hoop.

Anyway never had a puncture and always have my AA card!

Ian

Well, I cut my motoring (and motorcycling) teeth in an age when carrying spares and tools was de rigueur,  I've not broken the habit, and always carry a spare wheel, especially when touring abroad.  I've needed one twice in 18 years, once on my K and once on my R400D.  I value peace of mind.

JV

Stick with a spare, especially for touring. I've had two punctures. One was  a tear in the side wall, which can't be fixed with gunk or string.  As an added bonus you can fit the Caterham luggage rack to the spare, which is pretty essential if touring.

Not for me, not needed it in 50000miles. The closest I came to needing it was last month when I found a leak from my newly fitted tyres as it wasn't fitted on the rim properly, however a local tyre fitter in Settle sorted it while I had a brew. I don't generally do multi day touring just day drives or shorter. Has no one exported the option of one of those slim space savers on the back?  

A friend today hit a pothole in his Seven and tore the sidewall. A combination of tyre weld and the string repair got him 80 miles to a tyre place. So even if it looks bad, it is worth trying as a temporary fix.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-10-STRINGS-WITH-A-FREE-INSERTING-NEEDLE-/130497125304

Try this link. The stuff's been around decades and whilst originally for OTR stuff, it gradually became widely used for puncture injury filling (with a patch) and for temporary repairs. 

I've got one of these kits in all my cars, together with a cheap plier set. Having been, not unexpectedly, let down by a sealant, I have more faith in these. 

I've gone for the spare wheel option. To be honest, it is one of the things that l like about the Seven - actually having a spare wheel which gives you more control of a potentially bad situation.

Never been too keen on spacesavers or the foam tyre inflation kits!

I will need to get a wheel brace and jack.

Do any members have any recommendations as an alternative to what CC sell on their Parts website?

I am more concerned by practicality, quality and performance than cost.

I use a 1/2" drive ratchet handle. You could also use one of those telescopic handles that give you extra leverage. I guess a scissor jack is available cheaply on line ? I stow mine under the nosecone ... attached to chassis rails with bungee cords.

IIRC the source of the factory jack is known: let us know if you can't find it in the the archives. But there must be an enormous selection at breakers' yards.

Mine is mounted transversely in front of the heater using well nuts.

Jonathan

PS: What's the connection between Lotus suspension and VW jacks?

• Area Representative
I carry a spare wheel. I have needed it three or four times​ in 19 years of ownership (there were several periods of SORN for a variety of reasons). I'm going to keep it particularly as much of my driving is to and from work (have to get there).

hmm.. always tour "overseas", about 16 years, no spare, once had a problem, BOTH rear tyres (worn ACB10s) delaminated so contacted wifely rescue services which duly turned out with two spare wheels.

aside from that, it's a taxi back to "base camp" and the trailer which has a set of 4 "spare" wheels in it.

I do carry tyre weld, but don't ever imagine it will really be any good.

just occurred to me that a taxi to a hire car place might cost less: though of course these dramas cannot ever happen during normal working hours.

and if you are on tour in a group, you just need someone to have a (correct) spare ;-)

Anthony