Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silicone Hoses for R300K

Piers300

• Area Representative

I am thinking about replacing all the coolant hoses on my R300K (with wet sump), including the heater hoses to Silicone. There is a fair bit of information in the archives, but quite old and nothing that recent I could find..

Have any R300K owners recently fitted a silicone system that fits and comes with new clamps that work.

Who are the suppliers and what do your recomend?

Thanks in advance

Piers

I have a non-R K but have changed the main hoses to silcone. I have found that some need the occasional tightening. Also when I changed ot the heater to an all metal one while retaining the rubber hoses I noticed the hoses leaked with the original Milakor clips so these clips had to be changed. My conclusion is that silicone hoses need a firmer grip than rubber and may not be a good idea for people who do no DIY.

Surprised at that last sentence, John. I barely know the handle of a screwdriver from the jaws and I haven't had any problems. I use a silicone spray lubricant on the inside of the hose and on the clamp. And a very wise person once advised me to use the hex head rather than the slot to tighten the clamps. (Incidentally the original clamps from Caterham were fine after 10y and I didn't need to use most of the fancy new ones I'd bought after browsing BlatChat).

Jonathan

Hi all, I just changed my hoses to caterham silicone hoses, fairly straightforward job other than the J hose (beware knuckles!). Yes agree the clamps do seem to need a little more than standard hoses. Also my R300 had a plastic joiner hose and the interim pipe with temp and Ecu sender so you will need to cut the block to heater hose to accommodate. I took opportunity to fit the bleed valve in top heater hose to aid refilling. Cheers Paul

I used Classic Silicone Hoses on my K series and have been very happy with them.  Do be aware however that in the case of their respective K series 'kits', the Classic one has 8 hoses whilst the SFS kit has only got 5 hoses according to their website.  Not entirely sure what the differences might be but I think it maybe the inclusion (or not) of heater hoses.  Classic were also very helpful when I wanted a special.

Ezzer