Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater Upgrade

DRH

I've not heard of an upgrade to obtain more heat but when I replaced mine I went for a metal one. It is probably my imagination as the difference is so slight but I it might not quite as good with just a fresh air flow but better with the fan.

Check that the in and out hoses on the heater are both getting hot as there could be a partial airlock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-7-heater-matrix-Kit-car-SUPERIOR-metal-version-NEW-Made-in-the-UK-/302295023208?hash=item46622ffe68:g:ck8AAOxyNmZTkX7M

Using other options to trap the heat that is produced can also help a lot.

With just a driver in the car I find the car is much warmer with the passenger tonneau cover on, applies with windscreen + doors or aeroscreen fitted. As there is much less airflow around your body.

Tonneau cover clipped on at the front and resting on the passengers knees traps all the lovely warm air over their legs. Driving in rain with aeroscreen I will put the drivers side over my legs which again traps the heat in and keeps the water away.

Which type is it? There have been a few over the years. I used to have fitted the plastic cased version with 7 on the front. This chucked out lots of heat, enough to make your legs hot even if you upper body was cold.

I think its worth checking the current one is operating correctly.

Ian 

On a similar theme to using a tonneau. I have a 12V electric blanket for my wife. It is rarely plugged in so any blanket will do a good job for a passenger.

As for the vent flaps if I am on my own I shut the passenger side to increase the warm air flow to my side.

I find that my heater puts out enough heat most days. More would be nice on the coldest of days but it is only the back of my shoulders and neck that have a problem. A Softbits draught reducer helps as does a neck warmer.

I have a Crossflow, with older style heater. One of my attempts to cool the cockpit was to add a bypass valve from a tx4 taxi, with a cable from a mini to under dash. My theory was to try to reduce the temperature of the heater matrix in normal use so bypassing it would do that. Seems to work.

The problem with mine was it worked almost too well. The first fan setting was hot. The second was enough to create a pizza oven...

if you have a by pass valve I'd check it was opened if you want hotter water flowing through the matrix?

Thanks for all the feedback, my heater is pretty good but when it gets colder I would like it to be stronger, but extra clothing is probably the only way to go. Was out driving tonight which was warm, during the day it was 26C but after being out till around 11pm finally the heater had to go on, but that's with no screen and no side doors. I am interested in what it's going to be like in the winter, this is my first year.