Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driving with no wind screen

DRH

Today, finally managed to swap the windscreen for the Aero screen. After attending my first monthly 7 meet, the guys made me aware of the wires from the heated screen that needed to be disconnected before lifting of the windscreen, so all went smoothly today and fitting the Aero screen.

I was really surprised that my head wasn't being blown off and it really didn't feel that much different, the Aero screen does a  great job, looking at how small it is I didn't think it was going to do much so really impressed, really love it. At very high speed it is more drafty but no more than with the windscreen with no doors.

Do half doors make much difference?                                        Does driving with a Tonneu cover decrease turbulence 

My only gripe, why is the rear view mirror so high it really obstructs the view I found when approaching junctions, especially with my lowered floors, cars headlights behind at night are even worse than with the Windscreen. I have the `carbon interchangeable` screen which has this high stem,                      

Does anyone have a shorter stem on the rearview mirror or are they all the same?

Cant wait to try driving in the rain with no screen, NOT. Talked with a few members who seem to quite regularly , they don't seem to "blat" an eye lid to the prospect, Im trying to imagine it lets see when I get caught out.

Shorter stems are available and SPA will make a custom length during a production run at a small increase in cost - well they did for me some time ago.

rear view mirror so high it really obstructs the view - ditto!

Can you add a photo of your current mirrors installation, but I think that Phil has already offered the solution.

And a side-on photo showing the mirror and your eyeline?

Does driving with a Tonneu cover decrease turbulence 

I'd suck it and see. (One of the textbook examples of Chapman's approach to regulations was the tonneau cover that wasn't on the Le Mans cars. Has anyone ever produced a replica inflatable cover?)

Jonathan

Im really tempted to try it again.  I did briefly a long time ago, but with glasses and tiny Spa wind mirrors I couldn't see much in front or behind and I didn't really like it.  However, the car was bonkers!  Given my use now tends to be short runs from home for only an hour or 2, Im wondering about it again.  I still wear glasses, but Ive seen scooter helmets that look pretty nifty for head and eye protection.  I could also wear contact lenses/ goggles.  Id rather not wear a full face helmet.  What do you do for eye and head protection?     

For the eyes I have a couple of pairs of these, one clear the other with smoke lenses

Bolle tracker

They seem to have a new style that is slightly lighter

Bolle Baxter

For head protection I rely on millions of years of evolution of my own skull.

I find the wing mirrors don't wobble as much the old door mounted ones I had. Also have concave lenses which once you have got used to the size of the view are better. The central mirror I have is not so much use as it vibrates a tiny bit.

The tonneau gives a reservoir of warm air next to you and certainly reduces the buffeting when combined with a drivers side half door. I only have the drivers side half door so don't have to worry about fitting the tonneau to the door.

Glasses, ask anyone you know in the construction industry for a few pairs of glasses, they are issued to operatives in clear and tinted versions. Designed to take impacts from stones and a pair of each should last all year.

Thank you Doug for the great info, really interesting the rating chart in your link.The Tracker look good, If a big stone flies up they probably are still not enough protection, have you had anything substantial hit you before

TRACKER lens rating. “2C” 100% UV protection to EN170 with no colour distortion. “1.2” means 75% of light basically clear. Tracker transmits over 90% due to the high quality of the lens,

optical quality “1” can be worn all the time. “B” rating very strong lens protection against small objects traveling up to 120 meters per second. “K” means anti scratch and “N” means it has anti-mist properties.

Just one question what is the meter rate per second (m/s) of a stone flicking up at 100mph

A rating is 190m/s

B rating is 120m/s

Glasses, ask anyone you know in the construction industry for a few pairs of glasses, they are issued to operatives in clear and tinted versions.

I very rarely wear sunglasses, but following discussion on BlatChat bought some "safety specs" from Screwfix at under £10 for a long bike tour. Very pleased and it wouldn't be a problem if they got damaged or lost. And it is certainly less tiring without the wind in my eyes.

Jonathan

When I use the Caterham for a longer run, or in the cold early morning, I wear a helmet and quite enjoy getting nodded at by bikers who look a bit confused......... If I'm out for a quick blat, it's glasses and go.

Thanks Keith, I also found onRallynuts.com 201x54nm stem 50,75,100mm height options but not cheap £97.They also do them convex, any idea if that would give a better rear view