Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sump foam...yes or no?

ChrisEarle

Hi

The oil gauge on my 1.8 K series Supersport R has started moving down into the red zone (from a reading of 4) whenever I drive it hard. It always recovers back to 4 at idle or when ,I back off the loud pedal..

Any thoughts? Latest advice is that foam in the sum might have disintegrated and blocked return?

Cheers

Chris

Foam or not ... They are very sensitive to oil level. Check it is topped up to the max mark whilst hot and running. You can get this kind of behaviour if it is getting even a bit too low. Personally I run without the foam and have never seen any problems but I'm road only and don't track it. I just don't fancy risking the damage associated with it failing.

I find that when the electric sender goes, the gauge either reads low all the time, or the needle flicks around.  Try disturbing and / or cleaning the contacts on the sender to see if that makes any difference.  It's in a vulnerable place, and is prone to water and grot ingress.

If that changes nothing then what you have described does point to something else, such as low oil or some sort of temporary blockage on the oil pickup.  If the oil level is OK it's worth dropping the sump to have a look as previously suggested.

When was the foam last changed?

Chris, all good advice above but I'd start off with Revilla's as it's the easiest to do. As Revilla says the k-series are very sensitive to oil level (as little as 1/4 litre can make a big difference). The oil pickup in a k-series is towards the front of the sump so hard acceleration will cause the oil to surge towards the back moving it away from the pickup hence the pressure drops off, lifting off allows it to settle again so the pressure comes back up. You can see the same effect when cornering hard. 

I fitted a mechanical oil gauge a long time ago, it's really straightforward and gives peace of mind that the readings you are seeing are correct. I also removed the sump foam and have seen no detrimental effects. 

I suspect your current problem is oil level being low but fitting the gauge and removing the foam are worthwhile changes as well in my book.

Graham

Foam ... Yes .... every time you go on track.

It really does reduce oil surge. Just change it annually and you'll be fine.

I had big problems with surge on track with my VHPD when I removed the foam, following conventional advice. As soon as I put it back In, problem solved immediately....

I can't see how sump foam (in a K series at any rate) is going to do much for surge protection. The foam is above a metal plate, a largish sump gasket and way above the sump. The only way I can see the foam reducing surge is if the car was bouncing or airborne. I think the foam is there to reduce the amount of frothing caused by the crank and to filter out a few bubbles from oil that is dripping back to the sump. I would imagine that aerated oil will give low pressure readings.

I have ditched the foam and did the gasket mod not because I had a problem with it but because a lot of others have and I did not want to join them. I also fitted a secondhand Hellier anti-surge baffle which while not great for all must do something positive. I do not track the car or cane it so this all seems to work well for me.

Yes I can confirm that without the foam I got serious oil starvation on left hand corners on track, and once I'd put it back in the problem went away completely. I had an Apollo in both instances, of course.  The science may be difficult to explain, but the impact of the change was unequivocal, as confirmed by the (mechanical!) oil gauge...

I am trying visualise how the foam could prevent surge. From memory the sump is about six inches wide and the oil on tickover an inch or so deep. For a low pressure reading surge the oil needs to move away from the pick-up. For this to only happen without foam it would need a very tall wave of oil to the side of the engine that lasted several seconds and when the foam is in place it slows the rate at which the wave can grow. This is just a theory.

The foam issue seems to be full of varying advice...

Yes. What I'd like to see is all the evidence and opinion in one place, with who is saying what and why. That document doesn't need to be agreed between those with different views; it would just make it easier for us to make up our own minds.

Jonathan

PS: As I've advocated previously a facility for multiauthor wikis would be very helpful, but this issue is so important and so recurrent that we should do it as a one-off. Do we have a volunteer coordinator... or should we try a Google document?

I don't seem to suffer with oil surge [mech oil gauge] except for hard right hand cornering where pressure drops rapidly to 2bar. Not once that I have observed during acceleration. I don't have foam but do have a have an apollo tank. I tend to keep my oil level between max and 1/2 way down and read it the recommended way when engine is running and hot.

I often wonder if the foam might be there to aide reading the oil level when the engine is hot and running? It might stop the oil splashing all over the place hence dip stick reading is more stable? It might also serve as a filter to help stop the bottom end of the engine sitting in any debris in the [unfiltered] oil when being started.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.

Although I have never had the pleasure of doing business with Dave Andrews (Oily on here). I am sufficiently aware of his knowledge of K series engines to accept that if he says that the foam is devils spawn then so it is.

I've not had problems with mine either.  Lots of conflicting information.  Some folk experience problems, others don't. 

I seem to recall an earlier thread which gave a possible link between foam degradation and the type of oil used which concluded that using the recommended fully synthetic oil when using the foam was the best option.  

There was also a (much) earlier thread in which the original reasons for including the foam were given - by someone involved in the development IIRC - which were preventing oil surge and aeration caused by the shallow sump, but good luck finding that thread given the search issues on this forum.

You pays your money.........   *scratchchin*