Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road-biased tyres for touring on 13" wheels - what do you use?

rhauri

Hey folks,

Just looking at my tyre options for touring, my Compomotives are 13x6 front and 13x7 rear.

Wanting to avoid semi-slicks (R888R, ZZS, ZZR) as munching through that expensive rubber on the motorway just doesn't seem sensible!

What do others on 13"s use if wanting to avoid semi-slicks? Doesn't seem to be a lot out there when looking at various sizes?

185/60/13
185/55/13
205/60/13
215/55/13

Maybe I should consider getting some other wheels for touring?

For the tyres in question, it'll mainly be for the long jaunt to Le Mans and back (1200 miles), plus other touring around the country. Would like them to still have decent amounts of grip for the odd B-road blat along the way, but I'm more than aware that they won't compete with semi-slicks for grip. They will not be used on-track.

On these, possibly 2000 to 3000 miles

Wet grip, fairly important, as no doubt I'll be caught in the rain on long drives across the country but not sure I'd need to go as far as Rainsports

• Area Representative

There are fewer choices for 14" wheels than 13" but, if you can find the right tyre, that doesn't neccessarily.

Tyre choice has become a real issue. Many of us used Yokohama AO21R for years as road tyres, as they were really reliable in the wet. Grip in the dry for 9 or 10 months of the year is never an issue (you could manage on the dreadful Michelin Pilots/"pileups" in warm dry weather). Now that the 21s are not E marked finding an alternative which is soft enough is difficult.

I'm running winter tyres at the moment but come the spring, I too will be looking. The Uniroyal RainExpert 3 may be a good option, there is positive experience from members.

On the 21 on 15" wheels, I am using Toyo T1R and they kept me safe in last Monday's filthy weather but I would like something softer, even on the 21 (weight 700kg). There was still plenty of tread depth left after 8 years (I should have replaced them before this but forgot how old they were) when I replaced the front set earlier this year.

Yeah, I'm finding the same issue - there really isn't much suitable choice with our wheel sizes.

I feel slight dubious about UniRoyals as I know one of the S2000 lads runs these during the winter and reports that they feel like 'jelly molds' with their soft side walls!

Appreciate the S2000 is more than twice the weight and the size & profile of the tyre is very different, but with the 7 needing even bigger side walls I can't see it being better...

I have been using the very well priced  Nankang ns2r in 185/60/13 in street compound, done about 500 mikes so far, good choice so far for a trackday/ road  tyre.

Around half the price of others and so far so good.

I was unsure, but many people rate  them as a good  choice.

I have used CR500's and Toyo R1R's and have been pleased with both on 15inch rims

Avon did a good write up in LF Oct 2015 on their tyres

Touring I have usually got 12-14000 miles out of a set and with your annual mileage it doesn't seem  to work out much more than about £50 a year difference between a premium brand/performance and an alternative.

Isn't the obvious answer CR500? Still available in 13s, a great road tyre for the 7.  Heard tales of 4000 mils from a set.  Im planning on switching from 185/70/13 Yoko 21R to CR500 1 on my refurbished SLR split rims when Ive finished tidying them up.  

Ah possibly? They hadn't been coming up in my searches. Even tried looking for 185/70/13 but no joy? I'd need sizes good for 6" front and 8" rear if sticking with 13".

Where have you found them?

4000 miles wouldn't really cut it for me unless they were much cheaper than the R888Rs which by accounts of the previous owner were also good for about 4000 miles.

Caterham still can supply, I suspect BMTR can also for the time being. Off the top of my head the fronts are 175/55/13, I think the rears are 205/55/13.  CC sell fronts for £125 each, so they are pricey, but designed for the car.  You say you want something for general use and odd B road blat, so worth considering Id have thought.  

That said Ive never bought CR500s new as they are too pricey for me!  Ive had Yoko 21R in 185/70/13 for a few years, but having fitted top end dampers, Im wasting them with heavy balloon tyres so am ditching for some part worn CR500 on SLR split rims.