Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Not nearly enough tyre threads on here (higher power, SV, 15" content)

dave_h34

It's just like the cycling forums I frequent! Anyhow, can anyone steer me towards decent tyres with more longevity then CR500s? It looks like I'll be getting only around ~2000 road miles out of a set of rears, no trackdays. Car is 220bhp and a SV so on the higher duty side of things, 15" rims. I've got a feeling the open diff is lighting one wheel up reasonably frequently but the lsd will have to wait a bit! Front CR500s haven't worn noticeably by comparison.

I love my Toyo 888s but next time around I'll be struggling to justify the price difference over the T1Rs. Chasing/being chased by Ian last summer didn't reveal anything very different apart from in the monsoonal Alps where I was no where near as sure footed! Although that could be drivers

(180bhp, SV 15" wheels)

• 7 months later...
Time for a holy thread revival batman. The time came to swap out those CR500s (which are still available btw and in stock at BMTR but will likely be outlawed soon). The R1Rs seemed like a good option but I couldn't find a local place to get them from, the nearest Toyo 'motorsport' dealer actually recommended AD08Rs. AD08Rs also looked a very good option but in the end I spent the extra money and went for some ZZSs. Things of note: they did fit under the cycle wings but it's tight, probably 5mm to the indicator wiring and within 10mm between the stay and the corner radius of the inner part of the tyre. Quite tight to the outer sidewall of the tyre/outer edge of the cycle wing too but plenty of clearance above the central portion of the tyre. I'll need to keep an eye on things initially I think. Wheel weight with worn CR500 was 13.2kg, ZZS 15.6kg. Other bits of perhaps interesting info: fuel efficiency F, wet grip C, 72db, treadwear 20(!), traction B, temperature A, tread plies a mix of steel and nylon, sidewall plies nylon, 5mm tread depth. Think that about rounds things up! HTH.

• Area Representative
I'm using T1-Rs on the 21 (so 700-750kg) and have been doing so for 8 years or so. They are ok and certainly competent in the wet, which is important, but I confess I don't throw it around a great deal.

Grip is ok (although I spun it in the snow) but they are rather hard. I'd much prefer something which wears more (as AO21-Rs do).

But for 15" wheels the choice isn't so good (and the options for 13" is worse than it was).

I have R1R's on mine and they really are super grippy in the dry and retain a lot of that grip in the wet, i haven't pushed them on this other than a wet'ish Dunsfold day where even around the slalom they were difficult to get to slide.

I bought mine online then had a mobile tyre fitter come around to fit, it was cheaper that way i found at the time...i think it was event tyres