Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Better exhaust bobbins

thompster

Had to buy some more stock only yesterday after using my spare for a visitor. Got M8 industrial AV mounts 30mm diameter x 20mm thick ... from an eBay supplier. Cheaper than CC. Is there a problem with the alignment of your system to cause such a premature failure ?

Recently fitted some poly bobbins to replace a pair of Halfords ones that lasted less than 2 years. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Polyflex-Exhaust-Bobbin-ORANGE-PAIR-GEX7251-mount-cotton-reel-MG-/191811497707?nav=SEARCH

I think Minispares do black ones if the orange is not in keeping. There is a real problem with the quality of rubber components for classic cars at the moment, I've had steering rack boots that have split in just over a year and a vacuum pipe connector that hasn't lasted 8 months. 

Thanks all for the links.  I'd worry that polyurethane wouldn't have enough 'give' in it and would strain the exhaust but the machine mount links look good.  Moz's comment about rubber products sounds familiar - I changed the steering rack gaiters for boxed and branded QH ones last year and they're already starting to go at the edge.

Looking at the bobbins today they're quite bad so will be replacing before the LM classic.

• 3 months later...

Black polyflex bobbins are now available from the same Ebay seller as the orange ones. £8 for two.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Polyflex-Exhaust-Bobbin-BLACK-PAIR-GEX7251-mount-cotton-reel-MG-/172269992531?hash=item281c177a53:g:NHsAAOSwRJ9Xg0an

Tried a Halfords last week and they no longer seem to stock bobbins. My last one from them only lasted two or three years so probably just as well.

I was very careful to realign, slot, file, bend, adjust all my mounts to take and stress out of the bobbins as far as possible - ie it looks when installed, nice and straight, not angled between top and bottom, not in shear.  I've got both mounts installed - front and rear of main silencer, Using a Powerspeed unit for the last 12 or so years.

Think I've replaced one in 15yrs since build - lots of use in all weather, and lives outside most of the time.

So on my sample of two - make sure you're not putting the bobbins under unnecessary loading for a good service life. 

• 3 years later...