Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Fluid & Pads. Confirmation before pressing "buy now"

All, I'm going to have a stab at replacing the pads & brake fluid on my 7. Having never attempted anything like this before, I've had a good search around & watched some "instructional" videos on YouTube. Famous last words, but I think I've got the idea..

I've ordered an Ezi-Bleed, as that seems to give me the best chance of spraying brake fluid all over the garage.

Can I check the following?

1. Is 1ltr of fluid enough to fully flush the system? (Castrol React Perf' Dot 4 Synth' Fluid)
  2. I'm going to go for Mintex M1144 pads. Is "MGB533" the correct version? (2002 Roadsport, so I think the brakes are Ford items?)
  3. Other than some copaslip, is there any other consumable I'll need and haven't mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Have you found the advice from Alcester Racing 7s?

How are you going to wind the pistons back? I've got a dedicated tool but others say it works well with needle-nosed pliers.

I've ordered an Ezi-Bleed, as that seems to give me the best chance of spraying brake fluid all over the garage. 

There's a trick of not filling its reservoir. That's in the archives, but not the instructions.

Jonathan

The tool for an angle grinder also works well. But if you aren't touching the rear pads and only doing the bleed, then you shouldn't need to wind the pistons back? You can just push the front caliper pistons back in by hand.

MGB533 is the correct pad shape for the standard Triumph front calipers, although there is another pad shape that offers a slightly larger swept area. I'd just stick with MGB533 shape and make sure you order the 1144 compound.

I'd also go with 2 litres of fluid so you'll have some spare on the shelf.

I would recommend against completely draining the system.  Instead 95% empty the reservoir, pour in fresh then pump that through until you get the clear new fluid at all 4 corners.  1 litre should do it comfortably.

If you do empty the system then the air bubbles can be difficult to get out.  You'll want 1 litre for the initial fill, then probably 2 X 500ml bottles to bleed again a couple of times over the following weeks.

Eazibleed is very good for pumping the fresh fluid through quickly, but I think finishing off with the manual process gives a better result.  Just remember to pump up pressure on the pedal before opening the bleed screw, and close the bleed screw before the pedal hits the stop.

I agree, think we are all making this a bit complicated for Nigel!

Changing front pads is a 5 minute job. Pull off r-clip, withdraw pin, pull out pads, gently lever back piston with screwdriver, drop in new pads, replace pin and r clip. Mintex 1144 is fine for general use.

With fluid, 1l should be plenty. Don't drain the system, that introduces air. Just bleed fluid out the reservoir, keep topping it up and wait until you see clean fluid (if you can tell!). Start with rear near side, then rear offside, then front near side, then front offside.