Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My carbon wings

john aston

...are tatty. Looked great new but despite trying various potions they still have that matt milky look.after 40k miles and 8 years.I am thinking of either getting them refreshed(presumably remove old coating and replace with new ?) or abandoning carbon look and having sprayed same as rest of car., maybe with a sexy little flash to match nose cone colour

Thoughts please- pricey to do? Things I should know or think about ?       

Sounds like yours are quite far gone.  However whenever mine get wet and develop those cloudy blotches, a hairdryer and a bit of patience clears them up.  Seems like the cloudyness is caused by condensation and the hairdryer evaporates it.  Takes a good few minutes though.

• 2 weeks later...

No ....... Silicones may seep into your furniture's finish and create a hazy film (referred to as blooming). Non Silicone Wood Silk furniture polish does not contain silicones.

Non Silicone Wood Silk is a blend of the purest Beeswax and nutrient oils. It superbly highlights the original grain/colour of wood and replaces the natural oils lost by direct heat and central heating. It's the natural way to care for your furniture.

Has anyone done a direct comparison of something based on silicones and something based on those things?

No comparison data but I am aware of a problem some years ago where carbon composite became contaminated with silicone during production. The parts in question suffered from low bond strength issues when bonded to other parts. Post production cleaning was ineffective. The presence of silicone could compromise the ability to repair damaged parts. Not a big issue but it might catch someone out.

Steve