Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Diff Cage Recall

Dunsfold Dave

Yep, had mine done, it was a stiffer cage that was fitted as the original had a few issue with bolts coming undone and also the cage cracking I believe. Cage was used to hold the smaller BMW diff in the Ford diff mountings. It was't just R500's I believe.

Yes, it was for the BMW diffs. The original design also sometimes allowed the topmost bolt heads of the carrier to impact the DD tube under extreme loadings (e.g. two up, luggage, driving quickly through a depression, suspension fully loaded vertically). ISTR that...

- CC originally did an 'interim' design which there was an initial recall for in 2013 (IIRC), often at the same time as the 'rearrange the brake lines' recall. I think this was done relatively quickly, hence 'interim', for the race cars which would fully load the suspension more regularly. There probably wasn't time to wait for a fully re-engineered and re-tooled for manufacturing re-design.

- When they then released the current re-engineered design for the new cars, CC did another recall to upgrade anyone with the 'interim' to the 'current'. 

- A couple of months ago CC were going through their list to capture anyone who they had missed. In my case, I'd never got round to getting them to move me from the 'interim' to the 'current'.

I changed from an extremely noisy ford diff in my 2010 self build car to a BMW unit which was fitted by CCM at a reduced cost. In some installations, some owners of the new BMW diff found loose mounting bolts, cracked carriers and even damaged brake lines from protruding bolt heads. When I reported this problem with the brake line, CC picked up my car from Cheshire for further inspection at the factory.

In time a modified carrier was released most of which I understand went to the race cars as a priority.

i didn't go with this option as I had heard a third carrier was being designed which indicated to me the second carrier still needed to be improved. Eventually it was released and I opted for it to be fitted by Kenricks in Llangollen with all costs being covered by CC. This solution included a new alloy diff backplate as well as the carrier reducing the weight and has proved to be trouble free since.

Hope this helps.