Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Opened my pedal box to find...

Garth

the 'lug' at the top of the clutch pedal had sheared off the main lever. On closer inspection it was evident that it had been like this for a while as the pin connecting the clutch master cylinder to the top of the pedal are badly deformed! On removal it is clear that the weld between the lug and the main lever was basically rubbish - see picture below. Do you think it would be fair to ask CC to replace this FOC even though the item has been on the road for 5 years it is clearly a manufacturing defect?

large_Sun9thAug2015_853clutchlever_0.JPG.de76df4f36b7d0d3d85887620bec066b.JPG

Need to get it sorted asap as off to Spain next Sunday! Could be a job for the local fabricator to sort out?

Garth

A Dormouse would have meant I never use the car!!?

CC's website says they have one in stock so will be on the phone to them first thing tomorrow morning and will hopefully be able to swap it over. Failing that, buy the new one and argue later and failing that do the welding locally!

Thanks. Garth

Keep them coming Tim - we need the humour!!?

Thanks JK - had not seen that post - funny thing is that Rattie was the first self build owner I met - he kindly invited me to see his build when I was still waiting for mine to come.

Martyn - I tried to  send you mail but not sure it went through - if you see this please drop me a line.

Cheers

Garth

Both defects are exactly the same - a good 'looking' weld (!) which is actually a poor weld as it has not penetrated the steel on the main lever.

I suspect there are a few other cars out there with the same issue but it has not yet become evident - I spotted my problem by chance - the clutch was working but would have failed at some point once the pin and the hole in the main lever had worn more due to the 'bending' forces being appiled to the pin which should really only be working in 'shear'?

It is generally more dificult to weld materials of different thicknesses and this is what they have got wrong here.

Is it something worth notifying people about? If so how? Another thread on the forum?

Exact same crap weld snappage as mine. Fixed it myself with the MIG. I also got a proper clevis from Rally Design. If the length is right for where I want the biting point, I'll replace the one sided original with that, making the pedal fork redundant.

I'll post if/when I get around to it.

Garth, good luck with fix/Spain

Martyn

• 9 months later...

Parts at Caterham are now refusing to replace my pedal FOC saying it is outside the warranty. Have written back explaining that I do not see it as a warranty issue - rather as a manufacturing defect (as helpfully outlined above!) Am prepared to take this further simply because it is wrong and I find it difficult to understand when a company cannot acknowledge that something was wrong when it so clearly is....!