Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supersport suspension ride height

UremaW

Having had my Supersport R for 2 years now, I'm finally getting round to sorting out the suspension. The car came direct from caterham with 'Supersport' (adjustible bilstein) suspension, but as with all Supersports, it sits too low at the front and too high at the back for my liking.

At the front, even though it has widetrack front wishbones, the spring/damper units do not have the usual extentions, so i have had to adjust the platforms to their absolute highest setting to protect the sump from catseyes!

At the back (with 13" wheels fitted) i've set the platforms to their lowest possible setting but there is still a large fist-sized gap between the wing and the tyre.

Is it possible to retrofit widetrack extentions to the front damper units to allow me to lift the front slightly? And can i fit shorter springs to the rear dampers to allow the rear to sit a bit lower? Not 'slammed' - just to make it look the same as pretty much every other seven.

I'd rather not replace the entire suspension as the car is used 95% on the road so i wouldnt want anything too harsh. I'd also prefer to keep 13" wheels if at all possible too.

Can't remember the exact clearance when i last measured but I remember that it was classed as being at the lower end of acceptible. I'd like it to be an inch higher for safety, but my main aim is to be able to get the car flat-floored. As it is, it would be pointless at both shocks are set to their highest level. Any adjustment would therefore bring it lower, which would mean i'd struggle to get out my drive!

I'm not sure how to post a photo of my actual car, but if you look at the main photo in this article, the rear wing gap is same as mine.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/driven-caterham-supersport-r/26813

Whereas in the article below, the same wheels sit more squarely (!) in the rear arches on the red R300 (see smaller side photo part way down the page)

http://www.pistonheads.com/road-tests/road-tests/a-caterham-for-all-seasons-r300-vs-roadsport-175/20424

There are 'widetrack' dampers which are longer than standard, so negating the extension pieces. If the widetrack is standard in your car, I'd be surprised if CC extended the dampers with the extension piece which are for the narrow to widetrack conversion kit. The height of the adjustable platforms can be adjusted using the circlips on the damper body, it could be that they are positions too high on the damoer body. 

Tom are you sure they do a widetrack spec front damper? I'm not aware of these, just the ones with a 1" spacer. You can leave the spacer out (as CC seem to do) but on a low profile tyre it does mean they need to be wound right up. 

I had a look at my Supersport and its too high at the back aswell. Theres also about 0.5cm difference between the sides. Is it easy enough to adjust the rear platforms? 

Edit: Just read the how to guide. 

UremaW, I've got a supersport R the same as yours as you know. When I built mine I didn't get given the damper extensions either. I told Caterham to fit them when the car went back for the PBC. Yours should definitely have them, the car just looks plain wrong without them fitted and sits dangerously low at the front. Only a matter of time before you hit the sump on something.

I think with the extensions fitted at the front you wouldn't notice the back being quite so high although I do agree, even with the extensions it is still raised a bit more than is ideal.

Tom

The Supersport comes with "Supersport" rather than standard dampers doesn't it?  I think that Supersport dampers are the same (or at least very similar to) the M1 spec race damper that was for wide track only and came without the extension piece.  See the following link to Catherham's website: http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=682  There is no extnesion piece on this damper and it specifically states that it wide track fitment.

That's really helpful Tom, thanks. Definitely looks a lot better without it's chin scraping along the floor and it's bum in the air!

Waiting to hear back from Caterham parts about the extension pieces.