Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HiSpec 232mm Ultralite 4 with Std solid discs

CheshireCat

Looking for some feedback / recommendation for the HiSpec 232mm Ultralite 4 calipers with Standard solid discs at the front (Mintex M1144 pads) with standard rear calipers /pads.

Currently have standard front calipers with M1144 and standard rear calipers/pads and l am looking at changing the front calipers. 

I have read historical threads about rattling pads, dust covers, flexing but does anyone have any recent experience of this set up they could share ? 

I have just completed this upgrade. I have opted for the 260mm discs and standard E.B.C pads.  I also wanted to do something about the routing of the flexible hoses. The standard calipers have the entry for the banjo on the top, but the Hi Spec calipers have them on the side meaning that the route looks compromised (to me any way).  I specified some 90 deg ends on the hoses to allow a better entry for the pipe.

I have had none of the problems you mention. 

BM me if you need more details. There are some, but sorted by Hi spec.

Stuart

I run cheapo £12 232mm discs on Hi Spec Ultralite 2-pots on the front of my track car. I've used them with the standard Sierra calipers and now with matching Ultralite 2-pots on the back. All with various different pads and DOT 4 as well as DOT 5.1 fluid and a 13/16" master cylinder. No issues to note. I absolutely loved DS3000s in the front. May be a little overkill for road use though.

• Area Representative

HiSpec 232mm Ultralite 4's with 1144's work fine for me.

Unless you're racing or doing track days, and using your brakes hard and often with sticky tyres, I don't see the need for anything more. Infact, I only swapped from standard calipers for the saving in unsprung weigh, and going bigger or ventilated would reduce that benefit.

Actually, going to bigger discs on the front is likely to reduce the overall stopping power, unless the rears are upgraded by the same factor.

Don't underestimate how much of your stopping power comes from the rear brakes. All but the heaviest engined 7's have a rearward weight bias, and even with weight transfer under braking, theres a lot of rear grip available to be used for braking.  

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection if anyone is still about. I was looking into this last night thinking about unsprung weight. The standard Girling callipers weigh 3.2kg each and the Ultralite 4 1kg apparently.

http://www.hispeccalipers.co.uk/ul4m16.html

When using with the 232mm disc, do you mean one provided by HiSpec ( grooved or drilled), or literally the standard plain disc and you simply attached the calliper to the upright? 

I'm running the standard brakes with Mintex 1144 pads on the front and the uprated big master cylinder. All things remaining the same, what what would be the effect of a) reducing unsprung weight by 2kg each side and b) brake feel or stopping power? 

As an aside, what other ways can unsprung weight be reduced? Do the uprated alloy front hubs reduce weight? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Last night I made a start fitting the HiSpec UL4 that Richard kindly sold to me.  Fairly straightforward really.  I needed to file the paint of the top of the pads backing to get them to slide into the calliper, but that's not too unusual.

However, as the pad area is slightly larger than the standard pads, the pad does seem to cross into the rougher sand cast centre of the existing disc.  There isn’t a significant lip, just the difference between the smooth machined part of the disc and the un-machined centre.  Will this cause a problem?  (see yellow highlighting on picture below).

Do I need to consider new discs, or taking them off and getting them skimmed to make a larger pad wearing area?  Or should I just file a couple of mm off the edge of the pad?

Or am I worrying over nothing and it will all clean up when they are used in anger?  

/sites/default/files/images/users/10463/xlarge_Disc%20snip.JPG

Assuming the area of disc you're talking about isn't the hub shoulder then the pads will take the form of the disc, which arguably reduces longevity. As heavy rust deposits are harder than the pads it can/will contaminate the pads.

Personally I'd change the disc for nice new shiny items.