Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Engine oil - correct grade?

alan c

Such a long time ago now, but I think the 15w oils were used on trackday cars mainly to minimise noisy tappets (or was it to minimise pressure loss ?) Either way I'm still using 15W 50 Mobil 1 Motorsport

Hi Alan

I have tried various grades of oil....The original GM spec was 10-40 semi synthetic, but for Caterham use with hydrulic lifters Mobil 15-50 (if available ) or now 10-60 fully synthetic.

SBD recommend Millers 10-60

I use 5w 40 Comma Synger G will no ill effects.  When I last checked with Vauxhall they said their spec for the C20XE was 5w30 fully synthetic - different to what Bio has been told.  Why isn't it simple??

Agree with the others though for you, 15W 50 Mobil 1 Motorsport would probably be best.

Thanks everyone Mobil 1 15w50 is now in the car. Also replaced the foam baffle, luckily I had some helping hands to put the baffle, gaskets etc back. Somehow I did this before on my own with the car jacked up at one end only - no idea how i did then it was hard enough with help.

A tip for replacing the sump that I read a few years ago was to cut four 3 inch lengths of studding (M5? can't remember thread size) and screw them into the block sump screw holes at the four corners.  You can then push the sump, gaskets and baffle upwards onto the studs so they remain correctly aligned and located while you insert the rest of the screws.  Loosely spin nuts onto the studs to hold it all in place.  Once it's all lined up and secure, remove the studs and replace with screws.

You can get 1 metre lengths of studding from any of the sheds, B&Q, Wickes etc.