Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant Dilution - Xstream G30

glasgow

The temperature protection against concentration is in this data sheet. The manufacturers recommend deionised water.

I don't have any data on this but I suspect that many owners use tap water without any bad effects. The Haynes manual for the Rover engine doesn't mention the need for deionised water. Changing the coolant frequently is a good idea.

Jonathan

Yes, 50/50 is a good figure to aim for. Protects down to -36C according to Comma.  Re water, I'd go for deionised.  But if you happen to live in a very soft-water area, tap water will be fine.  If you use a dehumidifier around the house, use the condensed water from that (practically distilled).

JV

• 1 year later...

Sigma engines

The Owner's Handbook says:
Engine Coolant 
CSR/R400: Comma X-stream Red OAT 
Ford Sigma: Ford Super Plus Anti-frezz 

The Caterham website says:
Miller "Alpine Antifreeze" 5L, "will need to be mixed with water", and the label says "Red"

But the term "Red" is not used consistently across manufacturers.

I'd go to Halfords and check their table of equivalent products for that Ford branded stuff mentioned in the Handbook. (NB Club discount.)

What does everyone else use in Sigma engines, please?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

My handbook refers to Comma Xstream Red or Ford Antifrezz for Duratec or Sigma engines.

CC tell me that they use Millers now as they are a race sponsor.

i will check as you suggest and I am interested to see what others say on this.

Thx

Martin

Agreed. The Red was in quotes because of how others refer to it in the K world/ forums. That ambiguity is why I put the correct title, part number and hyperlink.

:-)

But is it the right stuff for Sigma engines? (And at least "Sigma" is unambiguous, unlike "Zetec" and "Duratec"!)

Jonathan

Thx for the comments guys.

I spoke to Comma Technical Support (Vince) and was told that both products would be alright to use in a Sigma engine in a Caterham.

On looking at the data sheets for both coolants, the Super Longlife Red does not have silicates and other additives and the G30 does. The Super Longlife Red is recommended for Ford, the G30 does not mention Ford in the manufacturers listed.

These seems to indicate the Super Longlife Red to me - pity the handbook isn't more helpful.

I use prestone as it doesn't oxidise aluminium like the OAT coolants.

What does that mean, please?

Lots of 7 engines seem quite happy on the coolant recommended by the factory.

And I'd assumed that the surface of waterways was oxidised in the same way as aluminium exposed to air. Is that not right?

Thanks

Jonathan