Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Footrest for clutch pedal

Molecular--Bob

I think I need to find a way of fitting a footrest for my clutch foot, I am getting cramp and then achilies tendon pain if i drive any distance .It doesn't happen if I rest my foot on the clutch, but i am aware that this is not a good idea for the long term.

Has anyone fitted a rest to the tunnel side? How have you done it?

I have narrow feet, so i could get away with a biggish rest if there is a way space the clutch pedal a bit to the right?

I made a spring loaded extra pedal that is hinged so it comes down in front of the clutch.

When I'm on a road where I know I won't be needing the clutch for a while, I use the toe of my left shoe to pull the pedal down and rest my foot on it. When I need the clutch, I move my foot sideways and allow the spring to pull the pedal up out of the way.

There were pictures and a write up in Low Flying a couple of years back.

Duncan

I have fitted the angle bracket described by SM25T. Its simply a thin piece of aluminium about 2inches long folded 90deg and pop rivited to the tunnel. The bit sticking out to form the footrest is about half inch wide. It is positioned so that with the side of the shoe sole on the rest, your foot is just touching the pedal. It works great!

Originally I made the foot rest wider but found that when making rapid gear changes it was easy to inadvertantly catch it. My car is an SV and there is just enough room. It might be a probkem on an S3.

Peter

Just a different thought.

Do you have enough space underneath and behind the clutch (ie between the clutch pedal and the engine bay) you can strech your leg and put your foot in that space? I have a similar problem with uncomfortable left leg, but found that streching my leg and putting my foot in that space helps.

Ahmed

Being of a socially responsible size, in my S3 I simply pull my left leg back and move my left foot under my right knee to rest against the outer skin, or pull my left leg back raising my knee to rest against the tunnel with enough space (just) to clear the steering wheel.  Both relieve the tedium of a gear-changing-less stretch and stop the leg going into hibernation. *hehe*

Peter

Well done for posting this. I have been thinking about how to make myself more comfortable in the left leg department. I had considered a small footrest but rejected this originally on tgr grounds that it may prove a hazard.  

Now I know others have made it work I will give it a go.

I have found myself pulling my left leg back and the laying my knee against the tunnel.

longy

Another lefty behind the pedal for me too! I can drive for 2+ hours straight without any problems (maybe it's due to my tender age! *biggrin* *blah*

Can't imagine I'd get on with a foot rest in an already cramped S3 footwell...think it would get in the way and annoy me!

Can't imagine I'd get on with a foot rest in an already cramped S3 footwell...think it would get in the way and annoy me!

That's why I devised a drop down pedal, it's well out of the way during normal driving.

I've done 600 miles in a day, and used the foot behind the clutch as well as my extra foot rest.

Unfortunately, my legs are too long to bring my knee up, I wouldn't be able to steer *eek*

I have done the foot behind pedal thing, and it works, but I never feel confident of getting my foot out in an emergency. My feet are very narrow size 10, which was why I wondered if there was any option to space the clutch pedal a little to the right to allow a gap between the rest and the pedal.

Ok, here are some pictures of my footrest. If I had an SV, I would go for Ian's solution, but in an S3 with size 10 feet there is defintely not enough room.

Here is the mechanism ready to fit:

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r538/underhay/003_skcc/footrest_1.jpg

And this is how it bolts into the pedal box, with a return spring to keep it out of the way:

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r538/underhay/003_skcc/footrest_2.jpg

This is the footwell view with the rest retracted (there is a rubber stop to let it retract quietly):

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r538/underhay/003_skcc/footrest_3.jpg

And finally using a rod to apply pressure to show how the rest sits in front of the clutch pedal:

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r538/underhay/003_skcc/footrest_4.jpg

I hope this is of interest to someone.

I have a short length of stick on velcro on the side of the tunnel, with a doubled up loop section pushed onto it, to form a tee. This is flexible and doesn't get in the way, but is enough to rest my foot against.

Simple.

I went with the angle aluminium in the end, riveted  a 10cm length of 3cm / 3cm / 0.6mm to the footbox extension and level with the pedal and angled to match the pedal rubber, seems to work really well and isn't getting in the way at all. Might need to go to a heavier thickness of alloy though as i can feel a bit of flex and i think it may fatigue over time.