Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight/supersport- 1.6K or 1.8K

James7

Pros and cons from those who have experience of both engines please. 

I currently have an EU3 1.6K 120 bhp and am considering upgrading this with Supersport or 633 cams.

Another thought on my mind is that I believe the MGTF 1.8 135 used the same engine/cams/ECU as the 1.8 Supersport.  These are available used at a fairly low cost.

Having driven one 1.8K 125 bhp 5 speed, this didn't seem as 'sweet' as the couple of 1.6Ks (120bhp and 135bhp) I've driven.  I don't know whether this was a representative example and would welcome other's thoughts on both.

Thanks

James

Can't offer comparison between 1.6 & 1.8 but I fitted 633 cams and verniers (from Oily) to my 1.6 and this provided a very worthwhile improvement with a lovely revvy character. Subsequently ported, added throttle bodies, Emerald and new exhaust which transformed the car. All done in easy steps over a few years.

• Area Representative

James,

I guess it all depends on how you want to drive, and what you want to do with the car.

A 1600 with SS or 633 cams is a lovely revvy engine. The more you rev it, the better it goes. Ideally, you need more rev's than the stock 6800rpm, so either an SS or Z&F modified ECU is required to get the best out of the engine.

An 1800 with SS or 633 cams does not need to rev as much, so works well with the stock ECU.

The 1800 will have a broader spread of torque than the 1600, and may be better suited to the wider ratios of the 5 speed 'box.

I love the character of my 1600 with SS cams and ported head, mated to my 6 speed 'box.

However, those who are uncomfortable with reving to thlimiter, may be better off with an 1800...

When I upgraded my 1600 for the second time it was time to fit forged pistons so it could rev and not explode! At this point I could have gone to the 1800 as well but stayed with the 1600 for a few reasons. Dave, DVA, had a set of forged pistons and modified rods for a 1600  at a very fair price, I like the quick high revs on the 1600 compared to the 1800, it would cost me less and involve less work.

So with Daves fully ported head, large valve, 285 cams and the usual mods I got near enough 180hp and not far off 140 torque (a good 4-2-1 exhaust make a huge difference on this figue and spread of torque)

So I could have had a few more bhp and torque but wit the 6 speed box, light flywheel, 13" wheels it goes pretty well.

But then, as said, it depends what you want to use it for.

Peter

Thanks for the comments all. New cams for the 1.6 & ecu swap seems the way to go.

I will also be looking to swap to a 6 speed gearbox at the same time. The diff is currently 3.92 so I may consider swapping this to 3.62 to give top gear revs closer to current setup.

which diff are you running with a 6 speed and similar engine/how do you find it?

Thanks

James

• Area Representative

I run a 3.9 diff with 215/50-13 Kumhos with my 6 speed ported headed 1600SS.

For road use alone, a 3.6 diff would be a little more relaxed, but for more sprint and hillclimb biased use, the 3.9 is ideal.

• Area Representative

Instead of a 6 speed, consider a modified 5 speed. Higher first second and third. No need to change diff. Retain standard 5th ratio for touring. Available from SPC at half the price of a 6 speed. 

Current: 1.8K SS ECU, 633 cams, 6 speed, 3.9 diff (forged pistons).

Previous: 1.6K SS ECU, 633 cams, 6 speed, 3.9 diff (trophy pistons), DVA ported head.

On paper, I have a bit more torque, a bit less power with my 1.8 since the demise of my 1.6. In practice, I really don't notice a great deal of difference between the two, and don't feel the 1.8 is any less "sweet". I went with a 1.8 to give me a cheaper route to the same overall performance, and a cheaper route to more serious future upgrades. 6 speed and 3.9 diff combination, as per Richard, is great on track and B roads, but you really don't want to be driving long distance with it on motorways.

AB

Hi James,

I can't comment on the pro's or cons of the upgrades, but I can offer something which may be of interest.

I have a K series 1.8 165bhp (Caterham claim) 160bhp (Dave Adams of DVA expects is real) engine that I am looking to upgrade (sell).

I'm currently getting quotes and setting up a convenient time to convert by vehicle to a 2.0ltr Duratec.  As you can imagine this will mean a complete exchange.  The engine is "SuperSport R" specification and was fitted by Caterham at a cost of £5,300 (I have all the receipts and invoices)  It has covered around 18k miles and has throttle bodies, R500 exhaust and is managed by a Caterham MBE R300 ECU. 

If you are interested in a transplant for your vehicle let me know and we can discuss possibilities, timing etc...

Regards,

Sam.

Thanks all.  

Were the original K series Superlights delivered with 3.9 or 3.6 diff ratio?

Paul, I was considering this and your comments have started me thinking again... but I think 6 speed and 3.6 is ideally what I want: Closer ratios than the 5 speed but cruising speed somewhere between standard 5 speed and 6 speed with 3.9 diff.  Roughly how much would SPC/BGH charge to change 1st and 2nd gears for ones of a higher ratio?

Sam, thanks for this.  I will consider this option and drop you a line.

How much difference is there between the Supersport and 633 cams?  If I could get some used Supersport cams, would these be worth considering or is it worth the additional outlay for some 633s?

James