Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Banner Batteries

AshleyBanks

In preperation to take the car out of its hidy hole and attend the rehab meet tonight I put the battery charger on the car yesterday.

Just tried starting it and it is dead very dead. Seems now the charger does not even recognise it is attached to a battery. Tried the charger on a spare battery and all the lights light up as expected.

Does this mean another battery has dies on me?

Should I be doing something to maintain them?

Is there a better more reliable option than banner?

What sort of charger? The clever conditioning chargers can be fussy about very flat batteries.

With yours I'd top it up (if possible and needed) jumpstart it and then try and charge it or go for a run. Usual precautions. 

I don't think there's any consensus in previous discussions about the best batteries and why. My 7 is used on roads and for trackdays. It lives on a conditioning charger when in the garage. It has a Powervamp PVR 25 and if I were buying now I'd consider a PVR22 as they are cheaper.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Ashley

Should be de-ionised water. Available from most accessory/spares shops. In the past I've also used water which gathers at the bottom of the freezer after de-frosting. I was told this is just as good, but not sure.

If you are using a conditioner, the water does tend to evaporate much quicker.

Hello Ashley

I run with a Banner battery, the car is always hooked up to a CTEK conditioner, and the car always starts on the button. I check the electro-lite level on a monthly basis and do not suffer water loss.

My classic MG sits outside under a cover (oh for a double garage) and this is hooked up to a Carcoon conditioner and again the car starts on the button.

If your running with a CTEK then unless it is faulty, or your battery is down a few cells then all should be well.

As mentioned, top up the battery, give it a full charge with a std battery charger, and then hook up to tye CTEK.

I bought my 7 second hand in 2010, it had the original banner battery from 2006. Mine has the electrical isolator which I use all the time. I have never used a conditioner. It eventually died last year (8 years old) and I replaced it with another banner. My personal experience of the banner is therefore favourable

me too, similar really I think. from 2004 or something, I always felt that removing the cutout key was like putting the battery back on the shelf - and usually has enough life for a start five months later, though by that time the petrol has gone "off" but still starts.

p.s. just check for dud cells which happened to someone nearby here.

I find plastic Pasteur pipetttes very convenient to top up cells and similar.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/Nt0AAOxykmZTOuB8/%24_12.JPG

In the past I've also used water which gathers at the bottom of the freezer after de-frosting. I was told this is just as good, but not sure.

Water that has evaporated will be fine unless it's been subsequently contaminated. If I had to I'd chip the ice off the top and sides rather than using the meltwater that's run across the internal surfaces.

Jonathan

Id just buy a sealed battery like a Varley Redtop and not mess around with battery water and topping up.  Im pleased with mine - well as pleased as you can be with something as boring as a battery! Also, having had a spill/leak of acid which trickled through the footwells and marked the aluminium floor (no feet where present fortunately!), I prefer not having a wet battery.