Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build - Engine doesn't start

cb4798

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyones mentioned it yet or even if you're still trying to work out if you have a spark but if you are, the cheapskate test is to rest a neon screwdriver on the insulated lead - believe it or not there's enough leakage to light the neon on each spark.

Hi All,

Apologies for the lack of response - all work and no play at the moment. Thank you all for your input, but, no joy so far. Not much more to add really.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday going over all the connections again and pulled out all the sensors again, and checked no connections on the starter motor are touching any of the surrounding metal.

I was convienced that it's an earthing issue but adding another earth from the battery to the bulk head didn't make a difference. So, basically, i'm back to square one, although I don't actually think I got very far away from square one in the first place.

Not sure what's next on the list and i'm hitting my technical limit. Anyone know a local witch doctor?

ChrisC - I have sent you a PM

Bob L - Sorry to have caused you and your family so much distress. Is neighbours still ok TV?

Chris

If yours is the same as my sigma you will have a number of earth wires that all terminate next to the ECU. This was the problem with mine & it just would not start. Fuel pump primed ok, it would turn over & oil pressure showed but nothing else.

Where have you earthed those wires? I initially used one of the screws that holds the ECU in place & this proved not good enough. It proved necessary to drill another hole alongside the ECU scrape away the powder coating & bolt the earths down securley.

Also check all the fuses are sound & the relays mounted on top of the fuse box are all pushed fully home.

Thanks Martin, I will check them out. All the earth wires were pre attached to the bulkhead by caterham but I'll double check them. 

Last night I took the inertia switch apart and tested that; it all appears to be working. 

Someone has also suggested a couple of tests on the crank position sensor. First, to check the resistance which is ok, and second, to check the voltage when the engine is cranking. I attached the multimeter to the sensor pins and cranked the engine but nothing registered. Is this a valid test?

At the end of the day this a brand new car. If you cannot get to the bottom of the problem, caterham will have to send someone out to you or more likely collect the car from you & fix it back at the factory & at the same time carry out the post build check.

All this should be at their expense.

Someone has also suggested a couple of tests on the crank position sensor. First, to check the resistance which is ok, and second, to check the voltage when the engine is cranking. I attached the multimeter to the sensor pins and cranked the engine but nothing registered. Is this a valid test?

What's the voltage between the battery terminals at rest and during cranking?

(If you didn't have a multimeter I'd recommend (along with Garry7) trying to start with an external battery (in or out of another vehicle).)

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

The car is finally went back to Caterham last week. They came back to me with a couple of point today. One of which is that the fuel tank earth wire isn't connected. I assume this is a very likely candidate for the starting issues. Can anyone tell me where this wire is located? I can't find any reference to it and not having the car obviously means I can't take a look. 

They are telling me that I should have applied heat shrink to the engine/engine bay wiring. I have asked for clarification, but has anyone got any thoughts on what this might be? From the manual, the only reference I can find is for the repeater wiring, which I applied  

Also, for one reason or another I didn't get the seats bolted in before it was picked up. They have quoted an hour to do the bolts up. Seems a bit excessive to me? 

Also, for one reason or another I didn't get the seats bolted in before it was picked up. They have quoted an hour to do the bolts up. Seems a bit excessive to me?

Tell them that you won't charge them for your wasted time as it doesn't work and they didn't connect the tank earth if they don't charge you for bolting the seats in?

Jonathan

I think the wire has to be connected via the wing fixing bolt when the wings are attached as JK #1. It does not affect the running of the car as the pump etc are earthed through the loom, but rather an IVA requirement as this snippet from manual . "All metal fuel tanks must have an earth path to prevent the build up of static electricity. (this may be a separate bonding or the mounting arrangement where it does not isolate the tank)"

Thanks for the links, Jonathan. Caterham want to charge me for the pleasure of attaching the earth. 

I waiting for them to come back to me regarding a few other points before we get into the cost conversation. I can't wait for that ...

I spent hours and hours - too embarrassed to admit how many - trying to diagnose a non starting new build last year thinking it must be something I'd done wrong. Caterham then spent hours (supposedly) themselves trying to find a fault . Conclusion was that there was a pin missing from the ECU!!

Re the extra work they've doing and time quoted - go in hard or expect a ridiculous bill. Take the approach of if its not in the manual its not your fault. I also missed the fuel tank earth due to it not being in the manual (aug '14) and didn't pay a penny for them to do it for me.

Olly