Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Checking oil level in type 9 box

zetec

Haven't checked it since install- mind you I've had no leakage but for piece of mind I'm checking it.

what I think is the filler plug seems low on the passenger side of the box is this right??

also what is the level I should be looking for?

• Area Representative

Yes you are correct! Type 9 filler/level plug on LHS of casing & since CC changed the chassis bar config you cannot cut a hole in the pax footwell skin for easy access.

Best way to get the plug out is with a cut down allen key (the straight bit) that goes in & leaves enough room to be turned out initially with a spanner then removed for the plug to be turned by hand.

With the car level when the plug is removed you should, after a second or two get a slow trickle of oil. If not adjust the level until you do.

A messy job & you WILL swear....a little!

If you like shiny and/or useful stuff, BGH can supply an alloy lid complete with a dipstick. It takes next to no time to check the level and there's no need to get underneath the car. Also comes with a breather port, which is useful if you like giving your box and oil a good smashing, as the casing can breathe and vapour be vented properly instead of trying to push its way through seals and gaskets.

Craig, yes, the shiny plug is the filler/level plug. On this box, it's a square section, but others may be hex. Early casings had the plug a little higher up in that flat section, hence, took more oil, around 1.9 litres I think. The lower later plug takes a few hundred millilitres less. I think I run around 1.3 litres of the Comma/Caterham stuff for pure track abuse.

Tim, I don't have a price for the lid alone unfortunately, as I spent a tonne of money on a heap of new bits at the same time as the rebuild. Best to give them a buzz. And let us know how much it is; it'll be well worth the money, especially in comparison to other alloy lids. You could even fit it without taking the engine/box out.