Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dash lights

evotell

Our 1.4 SS with the standard dash rocker switches appear to have light issues. When the switch is turned on it lights up, however when the switch is off and the side/head lamps are turned on only 2 of the switches light up. Are there 2 bulbs in each switch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

where the poster asked why only the right hand half of his bank of eight switches on his Supersport lit up when his lights were on and posted a link to an illustrative picture.  

Mine are the same, so the assumption was TADTS http://www.lotus7.club/sites/all/libraries/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/regular_smile.png (and the lit ones are the important ones at night) but your query seems to differ...  worth adding a photo?

Just double checked mine and they should read as follows (reading from left to right)...

With headlights/side lights on and rocker switches in the off posstion...

Heated window.  Not illuminated.

Hazards, Not illuminated

Rear fog. illuminated

Brake check. Not illuminated

Fan, illuminated

Washer. illuminated

Wipers. illuminated

lights. illuminated.

Hope this helps

Checked mine yesterday and, like Evotell, only two of mine (2005 1.8K Roadsport SV) light up with the headlights on but the switches off.

From far left my dash has:

Brake fluid check / Hazards / Rear fog - none of these illuminate when inactive.

(Fuel gauge)

Screen heater / Heater fan - only the fan switch lights up with the headlights.

(Temp gauge)

(Oil pressure gauge)

Screen washers / Screen wipers - only the washer switch lights up.

I can see the reasons for not all of these lighting up as tell-tales, plus when one of a pair is lit you have a reference point to know where the other one is, although like Tom I can't help thinking that the hazards switch (or at least one in the far left bank) should have a tell-tale. Thoughtless really, I could have asked the expert at yesterday's service! Going back in a couple of weeks for a fuel filter so will try to remember to ask then.

This has got to be the only car I have ever seen that doesn’t have all its instruments light up when the side/head lamps are on. Like has been said farting around in the dark trying to locate the switch is madness. I can’t see the advantage, are Caterham saving on bulbs and wire! http://www.lotus7.club/sites/all/libraries/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/omg_smile.png