Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel refurb

Mucus72

I read nothing but bad things about City in Birmingham when I googled them. I don't think they're in business anymore.

I had very good service from JVL but they're nowhere near Cambridge.

Edited by - Peter De La Mare on 17 Sep 2014 18:56:05

Dr Alloys near Lichfield did a very nice job on my Caterham alloys.

Acid dip

Media blast

Repairs

Powder coated

Sprayed

Lacquered

£50 per wheel but they were in a very bad state prior to the rework. If yours are a better starting point it may be less.

Took about 2 weeks but that was mainly because of his workload.

I'd happily reccommend the workmanship as a satisfied customer.

Edited by - IanL on 18 Sep 2014 07:15:59

I realise Mucus72 is now sorted, but just wanted to add a quick note re City Powdercoaters. They were certainly in operation a few months ago when I had a couple of sets done.

The quality of finish depends on the state of the rim taken in. They don't repair the alloy (at least not for £20; there maybe other options) and corrosion may not all be removed. I was pleased with the outcome as I was looking for a tidy up on a set of cheap rims, but appreciate they are not up to a 'concours' standard. You pays your money.........

I have taken 5 sets of wheels to City Powder Coaters (Audi A4, Mondeo, Caterham and Esprit) and, though no repairs were required, the quality of the finished product was excellent.

Unbelievable given the price of £20 a wheel (depending on size) and better than a refurbisher local to me who charges 4 times that.

I filled the estate with as many sets as would fit to make the trip worthwhile.

I can not comment if a big repair or heavy corrosion are an issue but light corrosion/tatty wheels came up a treat

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Do these places removerefit the tyres or do you have to take them bare?  I'm in Surrey, near GuildfordCamberley and have a set of minilites that are starting to peel and bubble, so could do with a tidy.  But I don't have any stands, so removing the wheelstyres and being without them for a while would be a real pain.  Just dropping the car off for the day would be the ideal, do such places exist?

Jonathan,

You could try Jeff Fowkes Wheels in Ibstock - a bit nearer, I used to have all my after market wheels and tyres sorted there, but admittely that was years and years ago - as all my recent cars I have kept on their original wheels. He advertises refurbhment as a service.

Jeff Fowkes Wheels Ltd., Station Road, Ibstock, Leicestershire, LE67 6JJ. T: (01530) 263111, F: (01530) 262584

http://www.fowkesauto.com/alloy-wheel-refurbishment

I recently got the wife's Fiesta wheels done through Speedy Wheels (branches in Leicester and Nottingham), the wheels went off for powder coating refurbishment, with laquer finish and the result was excellent. The price of £50/wheel included tyre removal and fitting and running around on their wheels/tyres for about a week whilst the work was organised. But I wouldn't recommend their tyres for a seven http://www.lotus7.club/sites/all/libraries/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.png