Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 160 Owners

700newtons

• Leadership Team

Hello folks,

I wonder if there are many others waiting for 160s to arrive. I expect mine to arrive in October (hopefully)

I'd welcome any advice about building. I have some knowledge, but I would class myself firmly in the novice category.

First question. I hear Amourfend is worth considering. It looks like it is about £600 for rear wheel arches dogleg, sides and nose. (This includes l7c discount and it is applied in the caterham factory). Any advice?

Second question. Caterham recommend the following fluids in the build manual:

Engine oil

Shell Helix Ultra AVL 5W-30

Gearbox oil

Shell Spirax S4 AT 75W/90

Differential

Shell Spirax S3 AX 80W/90

Brake fluid

Comma DOT4

Engine coolant

Comma Xstream red anti-freeze

Any comments about this would be welcome. Where is a good place to order them Opie Oils? I wonder if some of these oils have been replaced by newer versions as I can't seem to find them using searches.

Largely depends on whether you can endure it becoming progressively tattier between interim resprays and the nature of your car use ... Many just go for in season touch-ups to major chips and then a rear arch respray every few years ...

Recreational driving on A/B roads summer only will not degrade the paint too quickly. Winter driving on recently gritted roads and extensive track use will undoubtedly lead to rapid cosmetic damage!

There is also quite a spread in the hardness of paints/lacquers, so it also depends on the colour of your car!

I had my first car Armourfended from new but have not bothered second time around. £600 goes quite a long way in the way of chip repairs.

Final consideration is that even Armourfend can look tatty once it has been hit with a few big hits, but cannot be touched up, only replaced!

In short, definitely worth considering, but mainly if you intend to use and abuse it ...

Quoting 700newtons: 

Brake fluid

Comma DOT4

Engine coolant

Comma Xstream red anti-freeze

Any comments about this would be welcome. Where is a good place to order them Opie Oils? I wonder if some of these oils have been replaced by newer versions as I can't seem to find them using searches.

Coolant - 'Comma Xstream® G30® Antifreeze & Coolant' get it from most Comma stockists inc. Halfords.

Brake fluid - Castrol React Performance DOT4 from Opie Oils.

When I built mine Caterham did a starter pack containing all the oils and fluids that were needed to get it going. Needs to be ordered separately. Not sure why they don't include it with the kit as it was extra cost.

I would not dream of not having Armourfend on the rear wings; my last car didn't and was constantly being chipped by stones. Two resprays worth. My 2007 car has AF and not a mark. My local roads have lots of loose stones and gravel - if yours do I recommend the treatment .

• Leadership Team

Quoting Pugwash: 
When I built mine Caterham did a starter pack containing all the oils and fluids that were needed to get it going. Needs to be ordered separately. Not sure why they don't include it with the kit as it was extra cost.

Ah yes, all the fluid packs are out of stock at the moment though. There is not a dedicated 160 fluid pack either. Nearer the time I'll enquire with Caterham.

I wonder how much of a re-write is needed for the [loosely termed] Assembly Guide? Quite a bit different from the sigma/duratec dedion cars I would think, I hope they make a decent job of it as it looks like this is going to be a popular model for self-builders.

When I bought my Caterham Classic which was only 6 months old at the time, just over 2 years ago from Caterham South, it was recommended to me as it was virtually a "New Car", to have Armour Fend put on certain parts of the car to help keep it good condition for as long as possible. Because of the nature of the design being prone to chips, in my opinion it is money well spent to prevent this problem occurring. After all, when the Armour Fend gets to a stage it requires replacing, surely this is cheaper than a "Respray".

I didn't bother with protection and the car has worn quickly in 1500 miles. I have managed to find 3M protection for the nose, rear arches and leading edges of the front wings much, much cheaper than armour fend but before I've got it fitted the wings have cracked. I guess the wings can be considered as consumables and are cheaper than armour fend. On the way to a track day a few days ago the front wheel launched a big stone into the side panel and dented it. I had no plans to protect that. Then a lorry fired a stone into the screen and cracked it. These cars are good in many respects but don't expect to use it and keep it looking mint.

• 1 month later...

Quoting 700newtons: 
Hello folks,

I wonder if there are many others waiting for 160s to arrive. I expect mine to arrive in October (hopefully)

Just joined the forum, so hello all. Yes, I've ordered a 160, and have been given March as delivery date.

I wonder how many kits they've sold so far. Anyone know?

All the best

Ned

Edited by - NedK on 1 Aug 2014 10:42:48

• Leadership Team

Welcome Ned,

I'd guess loads if you have an 8 month wait!! I thought 6 was way too long for my car a couple of years ago.

At least you have lots of time to customise your man cave to keep your mind off of not having the car 😶‍🌫️

I quite like the 160 apart from the rear lights, they are just too big and I would have a combine reverse/fog light central ( led ) rather than those 2 wraths on the rear skin. The ideal rear light would be a Spitfire MK 1/2/3/ rear light that uses the stop bulb also as indicator, American style

Quoting Garry7: 
Welcome Ned,

I'd guess loads if you have an 8 month wait!! I thought 6 was way too long for my car a couple of years ago.

At least you have lots of time to customise your man cave to keep your mind off of not having the car 😶‍🌫️

Thanks for the welcome. You're right - Rebecca in the showroom says they're at capacity until the end of 2014, and won't start thinking about mine until the new year.

The garage is currently full of motorbikes, which I need to part with, and could do with a makeover!

Cheers

Ned