Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supersport - bouncy when only 1 in the car

Hi All *wavey*

Still loving my sigma Supersport however I've been amazed at how differently it rides between driving it alone and driving with a passenger.When driving alone, it can be quite 'bouncy' as if it's very under damped. The car will happily skip over bumps and give me the odd heart-in-mouth moment. With a passenger there are no such issues.

So the question is...is this common for other SS owners and what are the remedial actions (flat-flooring?)?

Others here will understand this better than me but I wonder if Bump Steer comes into this...... with greater weight in the vehicle I guess it changes the influence of bump steer.... Big difference to my car since popping in a couple of 10mm spacers under the rack.....

Just a thought..... *smile*

David M

A passenger is a much greater percentage of total weight than in other cars so will have mouch more noticeable effects. Especially great rear end traction/grip.

Having said that it could be that in your case this is being exaggerated due to poor corner weights.

Has the car been flat floored and if so with what occupant weight(s)?

Oh and not wishing to pry but how heavy is the passenger?

OK so not exceptionally heavy passengers.

You could try someone else's similar car but the key there is the word similar which isn't always easy to find given they are all different 😬

I'd suggest flat floor set up in the first instance though if you are considering any other suspension related changes do these first or you will need to for the setup again.

Doesn't a Sigma Supersport come with an uprated spring and damper package? I would check that you've got the right springs and dampers, as judging from Caterham's recent performance with parts supply, you might have uprated springs and standard dampers that can't control the spring properly

Hi Grant_7

I've got a sigma supersport *thumbup*. The car is noticably more responsive with just me in it but I haven't noticed a significant drop off in ride quality or cornering grip even on rough (are there any in the UK that aren't *mad*) roads. As the suspension is adjustable it may well be worth getting it checked out. I'm thinking of getting mine set up properly before I track it. 😬

Tom

Hi Grant,

Start with tyre pressures, I find the car is much more settled at 16 psi (but I'm on 15" CR500's, and I think your running 13")

Then I think you need to speak with Troy here and get the car flat floored.

It was by far the best upgrade I done.

Thanks All *thumbup*

As for tyre pressures, I'm running 35psi...just joking ( 😬) I'm running 18 psi cold. Will try 16 psi on a blat to see if it helps.

In talking with Stuart Cresswell yesterday he is of the view that perhaps, and as was the case with his Supersport, the dampers have not been assembled correctly. Will post some pics up soon showing the setup which will help root cause the issue.

However in the meantime http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/skidmarks.gif 😬

The Springs and dampers are i believe Track Dampers and springs with a rear anti roll

bar it has a stiff Kart like set up compared to my old k Series Cars which were much softer so much so on my previous k 160 VVC i smacked the sump and cracked the block which required a 6k engine rebuild through insurance 😔....so as you can imagine i don't moan about the stiff setup on mine 😬..The front shocks on mine are upside down, less unsprung weight so i'm told....the Sigma sump is low but has never touched the Tarmac *thumbup*......The moral of this Post, Stiff is Best boys *tongue*Oooer 😳

Enjoy *wavey*