Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intermittent Speedo / Odo - Roadsport 175 SV

Garry7

• Leadership Team

Speedo failed on a Blat weekend before last, roads were wet and muddy.

Cleaned the toothed wheel on the osr driveshaft and cleaned the sensor head.

Speedo worked for about 5 miles then quit. Over this weekend worked for first few miles after starts then quit.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can check the sensor by jacking up the OSR, switching on the ignition, and then rotating the wheel slowly. As each tooth on the reluctor ring passes the sensor head, the sensor LED should light up. IME, the sensor itself is a reliable unit.

As others have said, the air gap is critical (typically in the 1 - 2mm range), and so is electrical continuity (no broken or frayed wires, good earths). It could just be, of course, that you have a faulty speedo. That was the eventual diagnosis in my long-running speedo saga (here).

Another thought... do you have a rear ARB? If so, you might want to check that you have the latest ARB mounting brackets (as described in Workshop Notice 460 -- see here).

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 18 Mar 2014 10:34:39

Had the same problem with my 2010 build 175 Roadsport. Speedo used to fluctuate and then go to zero above 50/60mph. It would then recover as speed dropped and continue to fluctuate. I tried all the clearance, cleaning, electrical continuity, mount flexing and pulse recomendations to no avail. Instantly cured by fitting new sender and lead. Good luck.

I have had the same problem on my 175 S3 Roadsport twice, the cure was a new (expensive) sensor from Caterham. I could not see any damage to the old units when I took them off. I got a 1 mm strip of plastic to use as a feeler gauge, but always set the gap with the power off. Good luck

Edited by - redlight on 18 Mar 2014 16:27:39

• Leadership Team

Thanks all for the advice / experiences 😶‍🌫️

JV - wire does not appear damaged in any way

Mike - it's as close as I dare, last year it did as you describe, just when you really need it!

MOCA2CV - like your thinking! I have no idea tho.

Red light - looks like it's the £65!?!?!?!?!? New part. Think Ill go and pick it up from CC, can't face their p&p on top of that!!! (Original is only 20 months / 11k miles old).

Thanks all.

Garry7,

Interesting. My speedo went hay-wire last autumn (2007 roadsport 150 sigma). I rang Caterham and they said I should check the gap. When I pointed out the sensor was rock solid and clearly hadn't moved they still suggested I check it *rolleyes*. Having seen your thread I'll have another a rummage around underneath and see if I can see the LED. I would rather it;'s an obvious sensor problem (despite the cost) rather than a hunt for a broken wire somewhere. *eek*

I'll keep you posted.

Peter

Quoting sambler: 
Speedo used to fluctuate and then go to zero above 50/60mph. It would then recover as speed dropped and continue to fluctuate.

Precisely what mine did on the Blat up to the 2012 IOM trip, prior to:

Quoting SM25T: 
.... cable tied to the chassis tubes ... chafed through ...... and ended up immobilising the car too.

Yep, blew the instrument cluster fuse, which caused the ECU to freak out as it couldn't see the instruments and it shut down the fuel pump.

On the plus side, once it had been taken care of by a member of this parish on the IOM *wavey*, we were back in action! And further fiddling by SM25T and others found more speed 😬

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

Update:

Bought new sender - very reasonable £62 *eek*

Finally got around to fitting it today, gap set to 1mm, set off on test drive in eager anticipation and...................nothing, not a sausage *mad*

Back to garage, scratch head, jack up car, remove wheel, scratch head again.

I opened up the gap to 2mm, put it all back together and it all works perfectly *smile*

Very happy me!

Thanks for all the pointers guys, got there in the end 😶‍🌫️

Edited by - Garry7 on 15 Apr 2014 18:36:02

• Leadership Team

Hi John,

I did try, but working outside the lock up, car on stands, I couldn't get my head at anywhere near an angle that would let me see the sensor head (hopefully I have understood what I was trying to achieve?). I'd love to know how I should have done it, just happy it's working again, was getting me down. 😬

• 3 weeks later...

....................and the end to my own story.

Having swapped the sensor for a new one and played around with the gap no joy. On closer inspection I found that the LED was working on the old sensor, simply by turning the wheel by hand - it flashes *rolleyes*. So spoke with CC who suggested the only other option was a new speedo. So it was agreed they will send me one, and I can return it if that doesn't work. Guess what - it worked *wavey*.

When I suggested that a speedometer unit should not really fail after 5 years, 25,000 miles that fell on stony ground!

They have said if I send the new one back they can send it away to have the old mileage put on it. Anyone know if I can do that - or is it best to let CC?

Anyone need a spare new sensor let me know *thumbup*.

Peter W

Good news, Peter. It does seem that these programmable speedos are less than robust. After I'd spent many frustrating hours attemping to solve my speedo problems, the answer proved to be....a new speedo. James G sent me one to try, and it's worked perfectly ever since. He even arranged for Caerbont to change the black dial for a silver one.

JV

After a lovely first day blast yesterday it appears I have a dodgy / broken sensor or speedo.

When I first put the sensor on the bracket (when building the car) I got no speed reading. Just before the IVA I adjusted the gap from about 1mm to 2mm and on the way to the IVA I was topping out at 60MPH on the speedo and then it just bounced.

When I got my plates yesterday I adjusted the gap back to 1mm. The car would read up to ~30MPH then drop to zero.

This morning I was all geared up to set the gap at 1.5mm (see my thinking there), and head off for a drive. However when I put the keys in and caressed the fob, nothing. The speedo didn't light up as normal and the fuel pump didn't kick in.

Thanks to this thread and blatchat I knew to check the fuses and low and behold the 7.5A fuse had blown. I replaced it with the ignition off but when I turned the ignition on it blew straight away.

I took the wheel of and took the tape of the sensor connector and disconnected the sensor from the wiring loom. With a new fuse in place the caressing of the fob bought the car to life.

I put a multimeter (a what!), set to continuity, across the pins of the sensor and had short circuits between all combinations of all three pins.

I am deducing that I need a new sensor. Fortunately I am still under warranty so I will phone Caterham on Monday and sort out a replacement.

One thing that seems odd is how the cable and connector end of the sensor face the water spray. The unit seems destined to fail. I think when I get the new one I will put a ball of silicone on the end to stop any debris or water getting in.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

I still made it out for a blast just covered no miles and didn't know what speed I was doing.

Edited to say there is no obvious damage to the cable or socket.

Edited by - AndrewB on 17 May 2014 13:02:40