Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nitrons

Cookie Monster

I have standard Nitrons, well 7 years old so original valving. S3 13" wheels 225+ 150 helpers front wide track and CATERHAM progressive on rear. For road use 16/17 clicks from hard on front and 17/18 on rear. With the previous 225 and 130 set up used 17 on front and 18 on rear but still not the best for road. Really need to get them revalved but with 17 psi on the 888's the present set up is pretty good for the local roads.

Yes they are very hard from Nitron, both compression and rebound shim stacks are to stiff.

Even with the adjusters full out there to hard, I run 225 rear springs and 300 front with all my A arms running low friction Teflon bushes or needle bearings.

I re-shimmed the shocks and found the high speed compression was still to stiff, due to the holes in the pistons restricting flow.

Now they are working great for racing and road, there very well made inside just a pity Nitron don't know how to set them up for a light car for road use.

My suggestion would be to send them to Simon to be re-shimmed, unless you read my article in low flying from last year and try yourself 😬

Chris.

Peter, I have always found that changing springs to compensate for poor damper settings is not the right way.

Friction free arms and the correct springs for the cars use is the best way, then a good set of shocks set up to give good controlled movement is the correct way I have found.

Then you will find the adjusters will also work better when there not trying to compensate for other things.

I have learnt most of what I know working on off road mx bikes, rusted suspension bearings and the wrong spring rates can never be compensated by adjusting the dampening.

Friction from old needle bearings on the bikes rear suspension has a huge influence on movement and harshness, with going the same way on my A arms I can run slightly stiffer springs than most cars and still have good movement without it being harsh.

Chris.

Gary, let us know your findings please.

Chris, like all things do it right. Springs are relatively cheap and help but as you say it does not resolve the problem. In the passed, like 6-7 years ago, it was difficult to find good input on this subject. thanks for your input and your article.

Peter

I agree with what Chris and Simon say.

My last two competitive Sevens, I bought a set of Nitrons. In both cases I kept returning them back to Nitron eventually got something that was useable. The damping was the problem, twas so hard it was out of range. Although, I don't own the cars anymore, I know these dampers are still on the respective cars and I am sure both owners don't use anymore than 3 or 4 clicks and that is on a stiff sprung race car *wink*

ideally..i want to find someone who will open them up... recognise the the valving set up and then I can tell them what I'm looking for. Im not too keen on following other peoples settings...my car is a vx...whether ideal or not..I like a firm ride...urrent set up is way too firm and offers no compliance in wet or damp conditions).

Lke others have said, simply throwing on softer springs is only part of the cure...

Quoting captain chaos: 
ideally..i want to find someone who will open them up... recognise the the valving set up and then I can tell them what I'm looking for. Im not too keen on following other peoples settings...my car is a vx...whether ideal or not..I like a firm ride...urrent set up is way too firm and offers no compliance in wet or damp conditions).

Lke others have said, simply throwing on softer springs is only part of the cure...

Your question has been answered several times with the opinion Simon at Meteor Motorsport is the Nitron expert to consult

Captain chaos, you really want to do it the long hard way 🤔

read my article from last year in low flying and have a rethink if you feel up to it.

you will have to strip them a few times to change the shims to get what you want, and then refit drive and feel the difference.

better done all in one day if you can.

Or send them to Simon and once done you can stiffen it up with the adjuster *wavey*

Chris.