Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero vs windscreen

10 foot

I know this is a long running debate, and as a seven driver you're either an aeroscreen addict or a windscreener and of the opinion, "Only an idiot would drive with a lip for a windscreen on the queens highway old chap". I've got a 2010 s3, and, beyond changing wheels, never do anything mechanical with my car. It has always been fitted with a conventional windscreen, but I am wanting to have an aeroscreen as a quick change option for a different experience. Can anyone contribute regarding the ease and speed of changing from windscreen to aeroscreen and back and what this entails? And opinions please on whether or not I'll even want to change back once I've tried an aero?

• Leadership Team

It's a 5 minute job, except ......

- The captive nuts in the scuttle brackets are not always very captive and can rotate!

- If you wish to reconnect your heated screen you're likely to need a little more than 5 minutes. Ideally change the connectors for a type that suits being re-connected repeatedly.

Stu.

I'm sure your local area meet will be able to give you advice and help ...

Agree with above, simple if sometime fiddley

5mins should probably read slightly longer ... A bit lie Jamies 15min meals in reality it takes a tad longer

Providing you can use and have access to Allen keys and a socket set then job done

Initial fitting may require a tad more work, such as the window heater cabling and gaining access to the four nuts as this may require removal or drilling of the internal trim (if fitted)

......and ensure the captive nuts line up exactly with the hole in the scuttle, before you put the knee trims back. If they need to be raised shim the captive nut bracket with washers. While you are at it check the state if the channels the brackets fit into. If necessary clean and repaint or protect with you lube of choice., so initially no not a 5 min job but there after quite possibly.

p.s I found it a much more involving experience with a Brooklands, in my my case, however, screen goes back on for winter (ageing rocker)

Edited by - Jerry on 19 Jan 2014 09:07:33

Edited by - Jerry on 19 Jan 2014 09:09:36

In truth, you'll not really know whether it's for you until you've tried it. I tried it, loved it and sold the windscreen and doors 😬 *thumbup* That was over 2 years ago now and I love it. It adds to the sense of occasion, increases the sensation of speed by some margin and makes the car feel much more like a little racing car. I also love the way other road users look at you when you're aero'd as if you're slightly mad! The only way I'd ever go back to a windscreen is if/when my 7 year old son wants to come out with me in the car.

Screen-on the car is a mobile solarium *smile* in good weather and your tan comes on no end *thumbup*. Aero, you need a full-face helmet which spoils the tan *thumbdown* and isolates you a bit from "communing with nature", but you go faster *wink*.

The coice is yours, I've done about 12 years with screen and 5 years without, and I'm ready to put the screen back on ...after the next Trackday *wink*

I have both and the transition only takes 15 mins even with a heated screen as I have made the connections easy to separate .

As far as road vs track I use the full screen for the road and the aero for the track , it's great fun on a nice summers day going for a blat with an aero screen ,but have now decided it's too risky without a full face helmet and with that on the fun has gone anyway !

Perhaps I am just getting old ,but I would never take my grandchildren for a ride without a full screen so why risk it yourself.

Cheers

Rhys

For the quick fit electrical connectors do a search on ebay for Japanese bullet connectors or motorcycle bullet connectors. They pull apart really easily and have a silicone waterproof sheath. Think I may have had to enlarge the holes through the bodywork and regrommet them to take the connectors going in and out. I also swap back and forth between screen and aero frequently depending on weather/mood/passenger/track etc. Bloody good fun though. All Seveners should try it I reckon.

Consider what seats you have (or at least headrests if separate) if going to Aeroscreen with a Full Face Lid.

Later Tilletts (rather than the Caterham Tillett) have the headrest offset back and there is a half depth headrest for S Type seats. Do not understimate how much a lid pushes your head forward relative to shoulder position *cry*