Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Varley Red Top Battery Life Expectancy

Steve Causey

I installed a Varley Red Top 25 battery in August 2010 after getting fed up replacing the standard Banner battery. Seems the Red Top has now given up the ghost and I'm wondering if 3.5 years is about right for it's life expectancy or whether there is some other underlying problem. Car is used mainly for sprinting with little road use but is connected to a CTEK battery conditioner/charger when in the garage.

Any thoughts?

• Leadership Team

+1 *thumbup* I've never had an issue with Banners, fitted the first replacement Banner on my first car after around 6 years. Now running an Odyssey 680 on my new car and it's always fully charged without being on a conditioner but I always remove the FIA key after immobilising. I suspect you may have a parasitic load that the battery doesn't like.

Stu.

Just bought a new PC680 as i just have a feeling the existing one (10 seasons old and realistically for the last 6 has done no more than 200 miles/year and loads of start ups).

Its run flat quite a few times and i have simply recharged to bring it back to life. Never ever on an optimizer. I now disconect over the winter thats all.

Batteries have a number of cycles they are good for and an optimizer just uses them up in my opinion. Which may or may not be correct.

Check out Michael Calverts article in LF from approx 2 years ago.

By the way the Red top batteries of various manufacturers are refered to by many as gell type. As MC's article describes -they are not. They are sealed lead acid with some glass matting between the plates so that they can lie down.

Currently on Odyssey PC680 (wanted cranking power on old K, and added chunky wire to starter) and that is fine 6 years on and is always on Optimate when in garage.

Previous Red Top 20's failed due to other problems i.e. Alternator overcharging (football shaped battery !!!) and FIA switch/capacitor.

Thanks all.

David can you explain a bit more about the FIA switch/capacitor issue you mentioned? I've got an FIA switch which I turn off when the car is in the garage.

Tried to start the car again today, charger had been on as usual over the last few days and indicated the battery was fully charged. First time would only turn over slowly and did not start. Put the charger/conditioner back on. Just a few minutes later the charger again indicated the that the battery was fully charged, tried it again and it started as normal. *confused*

Quoting Steve Causey: 
Thanks all.

David can you explain a bit more about the FIA switch/capacitor issue you mentioned? I've got an FIA switch which I turn off when the car is in the garage.

Tried to start the car again today, charger had been on as usual over the last few days and indicated the battery was fully charged. First time would only turn over slowly and did not start. Put the charger/conditioner back on. Just a few minutes later the charger again indicated the that the battery was fully charged, tried it again and it started as normal. *confused*

Hmm, If you'd said you'd operated (or just touched?) the FIA switch then I would have suggested the switch was on the way out - they can fail in an intermittent manner.

The fact that it suddenly (well relatively quickly) was able to turn it over as normal suggests a loose connection somewhere.

Worth undoing, cleaning, and re-tightening the main power connections to the battery, starter, and earth.

Edited by - Ian B on 17 Jan 2014 02:04:38

My Red Top 20 has just died, at Xmas, bizarrely after I connected my new CTek charger that Santa brought me!

To be fair; the battery was approx 9 years old, so I've probably had my money's worth. I'll be giving Meteor a call this week *wink*