• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

It seem that my car was making a little too much power ☹️

I guess I've optimised a little too much over the last ten years ☹️

Just about ten years ago, when I wanted to upgrade my standard engine to ported supersport spec, I bought a pair of Piper 633 cams as an equivalent to SS cams.

Only after I measured a pair of SS cams three or four years ago, did I realise the advantage 633's give (particularly with a ported head).

633's have 10mm of lift and 264° of duration.

The SS cams that I've just fitted to my engine have only 9.3mm of lift, and pretty much the same duration as the 633's

So, less lift = less torque, and less torque = less power ☹️

Hopefully, I won't be seen to have an unfair power advantage now 🤔

the engine was purchased originally as a 1.8 with the 130BHP cams in seems i got the 115 BHP cams instead, she's booked in to be breathed on this week and a decent set of CAM's & verniers fitted to bring her upto the 155 BHP.

for the last two years the championship regulations effectively meant I could not alter the engine so never rolling roaded her to establish a base line, this year as long as I stay under the 155 BHP limit i'm okay, .

Hoping this comes accross the right (constructive) way ....................

Richard

I don't think that the power difference in class 3 is an advantage one way or another. You and Tom have spent a long time sprinting, have optimised the car in most other ways and are (quite) good at it! *smile* I think we all get very hung up on the power thing (me included). Yes, it makes a little difference with big power differences but within classes I don't think it does.

David and I will be competing in class 5 this year in class 4 cars - just have to drive faster i guess! For me, partly so I don't have to sit around the paddock discussing how much power at what RPM we all have. *tongue* I don't think that my 7, yes seven second improvement around Curborough has much to do with the extra 10 BHP I've gained.

More driving, less upgrades (I wish I'd known that when I started)

See you all soon *wavey*

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I missed the dyno session in Northampton so had mine tested at TDI North which made a change from their usual Honda's and Mugens. As it happens they are near junction 21 of the M6 if anyone needs a dyno in the North West.

Anyway I know there is variability between dynos and the humidy and temperature will be different from Northampton but here are the results...

Andy McKay - 1.6 K standard Series

130.5 BHP @ 6,489 RPM

123.1 lb ft @ 4859 RPM

• 2 weeks later...

Well a bit disappointed after monday's session at northampton Motorsport,

Dave Gemzoe had installed new cams to try and lift the output without having to report the head before the start of the season, and we had got her base settings but thought there would be some more to squeeze out.

Unfortunatley no matter what the tried could not ring any more power out than at Dave's but have tweeked the curve a bit.

So at the Rolling road session she did 134.7 @ 5750 before diving of a power cliff.

Now she does 140 BHP @ 5750 but maintains the 140 BHP right through to 7000 RPM rather than dropping off, will have to see what we can do next winter to get the power upto where she should be.

• 1 month later...

Just to add my two pennyworth to the canon of knowledge on Speed Championship power outputs, Northampton Motorport yesterday recorded 148.4 BHP at 7,300 RPM 115.5 lb ft at 5,900 RPM

Spec is dry sump 1600cc, Dave Andrews ported head, standard Caterham Supersport non hydraulic cams, 52mm throttle body, standard Caterham primaries leading to 4:2:1 Powerspeed collector and catalyst silencer, standard air filter

Out of interest in its heyday as a Roadsport A racer the original unmodded engine with no catalyst made 135BHP +- 2BHP at its many Minister rebuilds