Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT emissions test

HeMan

I took my 1.8 k-series 7 for a MOT recently. It is a 2006 SV Roadsport but it had been DVA tuned to 188bhp (according to the dyno printout I have) before I bought it.

I went to Kwikfit in Bagshot as if you book it on-line it is only £30. First problem is they don't have "Caterham" on their web site *nono* Anyway, a phone call later, off I went. I mention where I went because credit where due, the chaps were very helpful and friendly.

But when it came to the emissions test he asked what model I have and although he had loads of 7s on the emissions test computer (a bizarrely random selection from history it seemed), it was hard finding one that matched mine. So at first it failed but as I say, they were very helpful and spent some time trying different "models" to find the closest match to what I have and in the end we got a pass. *biggrin*

Does everyone else have this trouble at MOT time? I am sure there are people out there with far more highly-strung 7s than mine, so what do you tell them to put it in to the computer as? Do they have expected results and tolerances for every engine out there? Surely for highly modified or kit cars there has to be some exception? anyone know how this works?

Echo that above. Have a Supersport R conversion to my K series; it has throttle barrels. As a result, it is a complete nightmare to get through the MOT. Getting it very hot is a start but perhaps more important is to find an accommodating MOT station. It is worth speaking to other seveners in your area for a steer (excuse the pun!)

As it happens mine came from Millwoods. Problem is I usually leave it until the 2nd reminder comes through for the tax, the one in red, before I realise the MOT expired a month ago and it is all a bit of a panic, so a trip to Gloucestershire probably wouldn't help. Somewhere closer would be good... 😬

Quoting CaterBram: 
ask around at your local area meet and you will find the stations which actually know there way around a 7.

Spot on advice *smokin* Some MOT stations are much more Caterham Friendly (and knowledgable) than others *wink* *thumbup*

Quoting CaterBram: 
a pretty mixed bag with MOT testers, ask around at your local area meet and you will find the stations which actually know there way around a 7.

Also - our meet is ReHaB & we come through camberley to near hartney whitney for our meet.

Great meet with very helpful people !!

Didn't think of him, although I have used him for other work (and a chat) before. What does he charge for this? Seems a shame to hassle him with it if it is just a straight MOT, I wonder where he takes them (as presumably they are well used to 7s).

Quoting HeMan: 
Didn't think of him, although I have used him for other work (and a chat) before. What does he charge for this? Seems a shame to hassle him with it if it is just a straight MOT, I wonder where he takes them (as presumably they are well used to 7s).

Nope. Its all buisiness for him. Every march/ april i just book an mot & drop it off.

Not sure about trying different models to get it through the emissions tests. Surely the limits are the limits no matter the car or model. I have gone to a branch of KwikFit for some years with my ported, Jenveys, Pwerspeed exhausted 1.6. Always got through, sometimes with more problems than others but always very hot (melted his probe once!). No changes the car or map but sailed through last year very easily - I suggested he must have had his machine re-calibrated. *smile*

It seemed to me that each model had an expected range and by changing the model it changed what would be considered a pass or not. Whilst one acceptable range might seem simple, I guess if you think about it, how would old V8s or even modern ones get through if they were marked on the same basis as a 1 litre eco-car?

Beyond just getting it through the next MOT it would be good to understand how it works and what is required of our cars to pass. *confused* Anyone work for an MOT centre or similar?

I had a similar conversation with the tester when I took my 1.6 k-series to the local place back in August. He was going to totally skip the emissions test as if it "failed" they reckoned they wouldn't find a match in the database for the car, so it'd be classified as a pass anyway *confused* As HeMan suggests, it sounds like there are different limits for different cars based on what they're registered as - I guess it makes sense when the VED is based on emissions that exceeding those limits makes the reduction in VED a nonsense if it doesn't remain within those limits. Makes no difference for us where it is the 1.4l that determines how much they sting us for.