Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How high should my seven ride?!

MK07FUN

I did a CDX experience a few weekends ago. From speaking with Sam, she said that the front shocks on CDX cars were set to their lowest position, hence the nose-down stance.

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 
I think the general rule is high enough to roll a coke can under the sump, and rake as desired. That should get you over most stuff.

More rake = more back end fun, which is why the CDX cars may look higher.

From 2007!

Quoting Ray Pearce: 
Hmm, for road use I set mine up so that a coke can will roll under the sump but a wine bottle won't. Very unscientific but these were the tools that were to hand at the time *wink*

Quoting Grant_7: 
I did a CDX experience a few weekends ago. From speaking with Sam, she said that the front shocks on CDX cars were set to their lowest position, hence the nose-down stance.

Yes, I've been to a couple (one as spectator, one as participant) and the CDX cars have the front end set low and soft for grip and the back end jacked up high and stiff for exactly the opposite.

So don't use them as a model of how to set yours up for the road!

*smile*

Quoting CB: 
For what it's worth - the "legal" minimum in the race series is 120mm under the front chassis bar where the back leg of the front wishbone meets it. And that feels quite low enough...

Depends on your race series, although I agree that this is what the Graduates and the Official Series (except Academy) run to. There is definitely an advantage to running a bit lower than this on track, but there are already certain corners where I ground the side impact bar, such as the first chicane at Oulton and the second chicane at Combe.

I would not run a car on the road at that level though. You're not after the last couple of tenths on the road. I'd want at least 140mm on the equivalent measurement.

Jez

I have just got my car back from being setup after lots of changers I have done moving things around and changing from a Zetec to a dry sump Duratec.

It is now set to 105mm under the front rail 120 under the back it now has 85mm under the bell housing and that's 5mm more than the Zetec.

It has now got 50/50 front to rear and 50/50 side to side if I fit 7 kg to the passenger side and me in the driving seat.

It also has 1/2 deg camber on the rear and 1 deg camber at the front, a small amount of tow in at the rear and a small tow out on the front.

The car now weighs 565kg without me and with 20l of fuel.

The car should now handle much better and corner flatter according to the guy who sets it up, It certainly looks much better at this height.

Fingers crossed next race 4 weeks time 😬