Click here if you are having website access problems ×

KN Filters

Trotsky

Fingers crossed, I hope I have found the cause of a slight misfire/hesitancy when accelerating hard, I have been through checking; ht leads, plugs, checking fuel pump. fuel pressure, coil pack etc, not found any mention in searches on here of air filters causing issues but failing all else decided to remove them and see what effect it had, scared of sucking in debris and causing damage I bodged some of the wife's stockings over the trumpets for a test run, misfire a lot worse as the stockings allow less air in(wrong denier *wink*) same issue as when filters fit only much more pronounced at all revs, jumped out, whipped off the stockings *eek* and blatted up through the gears, immediately smooth running, clean revs across the range. put the KN filters back on , back to old lumpiness and hesitancy, whipped em off , clean smooth running again.the carbs were adjusted on the dyno a couple of months back and were spot on until this latest issue, So seems the filters are clogged? They are for 45 webers by the way. I have searched K N suppliers but cant seem to find any the same size as mine 170mm long, 110mm wide and 80mm high ( just the filter not the housing.)

so have decided to try cleaning them, given them a good blast with carburetor and intake cleaner which has loosed a lot of grime. is this a good idea? can they be dishwashered *tongue* or am I wasting my time . , what are my options re filters?

cheers folks

That's the one John . I'm picking up a cleaning kit from alfrauds later, if all fails I'll replace with new ones. Had a sniff of the KN filter cleaning kit last week and decided the cleaning fluid seemed amazingly similar in smell to the muck off I use on the mtb at half the price, which coincidently is the same as fenwicks caravan cleaner only a different colour , at half the price of muck off before you all shout tight Yorkshire git, I'm buying the kn kit at a extortionate 15 sovs as it includes the oil, which is probably olive oil anyway *wink*

Air Filter Cleaner - Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate (CAS No. 6634-92-0)

Air Filter Oil - Distilates (petroleum), hydro treated heavy paraffinic (CAS No. 64742-54-7),

1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated (CAS No. 68037-01-4), C.I. Solvent Red 164 (CAS No. 71819-51-7)

So it's not "Snake Oil"

Richard

here

oil is oil? 😬 I had to laugh, reminded me of the time a mate filled his hope mtb disc brake reservoir with olive oil instead of dot 4 , oil is oil he said. That'll be useless as a brake fluid we said, but he wouldn't listen, and crashed.

Mine are drying out now so well have to wait a few days to see if I've cured the poor running, I'm ashamed to admit I've never cleaned them in 5 years 40+ k miles *redface*

Well they are back on , having cleaned and oiled them, and it's like a new car 😬 can't believe the difference. Happy days, no hesitancy at any revs, must have been missing a few horses as it feels and drives amazing again.

Ill be cleaning mine regularly from now on that's for sure, it's one of these things that creep up unnoticed as they get less effective I suppose, theyre about the only thing on my car that have not been cleaned, stripped or messed with regularly. Lesson learned *smile* I presume they are the original ones and as my car is now 18 and 90k miles I suppose it would be prudent to get some fresh ones, can you just buy the filter without the metal ware?

Edited by - Trotsky on 31 Aug 2013 17:28:11

Yes, replacement elephants are available.

If your filters are wholly within the bonnet it would be worth looking for some paper / conventional inserts. There is some evidence on t'internet that they flow more and clean better than the cotton and gauze k&n. I'm surprised at the grime on the 'clean' side inlet tract of one of my cars which has a k&n. Must change to a Mann&Hummel.

The k&n does have the advantage of not going soggy when rained on.

Peter